This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Trouble Installing VBox Guest Addtions

Greetings. I just installed Kubuntu 22.04.1 as a virtual guest in VirtualBox 7.0 on Windows 10 as the host. Everything is running fine, except I’m unable to install Guest Additions. I can mount Guest Additions (VBox_FAs_7.0.4), but I cannot execute the pertinent file. When I double click on VBox_FAs_7.0.4 in File Manager, I see several files and the one I think I’m supposed to run is VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. When I double click on that file, it returns “This program must be run with administrator privileges. Aborting.” There is only one user on the system, me, and I am the administrator. When I navigate to “Users”, I’m the only account listed. The Name is my first name, the Username is my first name, and the Account Type is Administrator. So why don’t I have administrator privileges, and just how do I become privileged so I can run the file to load Guest Additions? Many thanks.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Nov 27, 2022, 10:14 AM.

Which VirtualBox? Oracle, or the one that comes with Kubuntu?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jaydub38 View Post
      Greetings. I just installed Kubuntu 22.04.1 as a virtual guest in VirtualBox 7.0 on Windows 10 as the host. Everything is running fine, except I’m unable to install Guest Additions. I can mount Guest Additions (VBox_FAs_7.0.4), but I cannot execute the pertinent file. When I double click on VBox_FAs_7.0.4 in File Manager, I see several files and the one I think I’m supposed to run is VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. When I double click on that file, it returns “This program must be run with administrator privileges. Aborting.” There is only one user on the system, me, and I am the administrator. When I navigate to “Users”, I’m the only account listed. The Name is my first name, the Username is my first name, and the Account Type is Administrator. So why don’t I have administrator privileges, and just how do I become privileged so I can run the file to load Guest Additions? Many thanks.
      You will need to run the file from the terminal, using sudo to elevate permissions temporarily. Other distros might require logging into the terminal to the root account to perform this action, but Ubuntu and others use sudo as an alternative to this

Navigate to the folder in Dolphin, and hit f4 to toggle a terminal panel.
      Next, enter sudo ./nameoffile
      A super duper handy shortcut is to type out part of the file name, then use the tab key for text-completion, which saves typing effort for lazy or terrible typists (such as myself, in both cases ). or copy-pasta
      So: sudo ./VBoxL{tab} then enter, if the filename is completed.
      Note the dot - forward-slash, and remember that Linux is caSe SenSitiVe.
      Add a letter or more, then hit tab again (and repeat if necessary) if you have multiple files, until you get the correct one.

if you miss the sudo part in the terminal, it will give you a similar message there.

Comment

Perfect. Thanks for the timely help.

Comment

Working...
        X