Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unable to boot into 22.04 , 20.04 kubuntu was working great..?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Unable to boot into 22.04 , 20.04 kubuntu was working great..?

I've recently been rocking Kubuntu 20.04 LTS... but with the new 22.04 dropping I decided to make the switch today... unfortunately I installed smoothly but when I reboot I consistently get stuck on the ASUS logo..

I can reach the BIOS no problem.. and tried to reset the secure boot keys to default.. but nothings working... Any clues what to try? Is my drive bad? I'd been running without issue on the 20.04 LTS for months.. so not sure where to even start..

Overall setup

Pro-WS-x570-ACE
    Ryzen 5950x
    64 GB of RAM
    a Samsung 1TB NVME
    1060 GTX 6GB MSI in secondary GPU slot
    RTX 3090 Gigabyte Vision OC in the primary PCIE slot

I did notice that when I looked in the BIOS .. when polling the graphics cards the bottom 1060 (the one I want to use for the screen) was showing up in red... is this something Linux related, Asus related or...?

If I go and install Windows 11 ISO.. everything works perfectly fine.. I can install boot etc etc... but really then the suspect is linux or kubuntu itself?

I'm thinking next to unplug the 1060 GTX and plug my screen into the RTX 3090 and install again.. I recall 22.04 switched off X11 to (wayland?) and worried this has broken my multi-GPU setup finally.. I may just go back to 20.04 in meantime but wanted to see if I should try something/anything

Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 12, 2022, 06:56 AM.

There's a lot to digest in your post. Have you tried moving the monitor to the first card and seeing if it boots into 22.04 that way, assuming you still have the 22.04 installed? You could try clean install from USB stick of 22.04 as you said, with monitor attached to the main primary graphics card and the other card removed. Once you can boot into the system, then try to add the other card if needed.
    As for your questions, is your drive bad? Just assume it works for right now. If no other OS will install correctly, then yes maybe the drive is bad but for now just put that thought on hold for a moment in my opinion.
    The BIOS shows the second card in red? That would not be a Linux issue as the OS has not even booted yet. But that is a good indication you probably should consider using the other card by itself for simplicity's sake while trying to figure out how to get it to boot into 22.04/get it installed correctly.

I recall 22.04 switched off X11 to (wayland?)
    I don't believe that is true. As far as I know, and I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, X11 is still the default on 22.04, at least it is for me. Wayland is an option but is not selected by default. As far as that affecting being stuck at the ASUS logo, then it is neither X11 or Wayland that is probably the issue, esp if you do not even see grub or boot options. SDDM, the login screen runs on X11, not Wayland and is not even loaded yet when the boot logo for ASUS is showing.

For now, if the BIOS is showing the card your monitor is connected to in RED, whatever that means, then maybe that is the problem. Try removing it temporarily to isolate that from the equation and see if you can install or boot 22.04 with the other graphics card. Just my suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by emcp333 View Post
      but with the new 22.04 dropping
      heh, 22.04 dropped in April Not for LTS upgraders, though.

I recall 22.04 switched off X11 to (wayland?)
      No, not for Kubuntu at least. In any case, Wayland and X11 are selectable at login. This would not effect booting, especially since you are not even making it to the grub menu, I take it?
      If you have multiple Kubuntu entries in your bios' boot menu, you might try selecting different ones, at least as a first place to look. My initial thought is your bios still has the 20.04 boot entry, or something along those lines.

You didn't mention any install method, in regards to drive partitioning. That might also be potentially useful

Comment

Well, Windows 11 worked great... played some games etc... I updated the BIOS and turned my attention back to Kubuntu 22.04

I just took a new ISO down... plugged display into the RTX 3090 (the Primary PCIE Slotted GPU)

Same result.. installs great.. but upon reboot I'm stuck at the Asus logo.

I'm next going to try Ubuntu 22.04... and will report back. If that doesn't work I will then reinstall 20.04 .. I really do not want single GPU setup

especially since you are not even making it to the grub menu, I take it?...

...You didn't mention any install method, in regards to drive partitioning. That might also be potentially useful
        Correct I do not see a chance to use GRUB (do I hit a key do to that?)

Regarding partitioning, I use the default of the installer .. ie "use the whole drive" .. I do not want or need dual booting at all. nor prior versions .. I always seek a fresh install when upgrading LTSs

EDIT:

One more note: I choose minimum install, and to install third party software for graphics... is it worth unchecking the latter?

EDIT2:

I just installed and booted flawlessly.. Ubuntu 22.04 LTS... which leads me to think the issue is indeed somewhere with Kubuntus setup.. Is there an official way to report this? Meanwhile I am backing off to 20.04 LTS , except now that I tried to get back on Kubuntu 20.04 ... it TOO is not booting fully.. boy this is bad.. I guess I may have to go back to gnome
        Last edited by emcp333; Jul 12, 2022, 02:24 AM.

Comment

I think I might be getting bit by this old issue in 20.04 https://askubuntu.com/questions/1281...282231#1282231

basically it seems they had the same issue.. unchecked proprietary drivers.. installed as normal .. and THEN after booting in.. setup their drivers.

I will take 22.04 Kubuntu iso and try this now..

Comment

unchecked proprietary drivers.. installed as normal
            I too have had problems with this on those releases. But slightly different issue (I have Nvidia graphics card). With drivers checked on installation, Nvidia drivers would not install. Would use open source NV driver at reboot. When using driver manager to install the Nvidia proprietary driver to correct the issue, would not install and said they were already installed. Modprobe would not load or find the driver. I checked the system files and could confirm the driver package was not present. It was a nightmare to sort out.
            My point is, after that, I just did not use that option on installation, and installed kubuntu-restricted-extras and nvidia driver after installation.
            Hopefully that is all your issue is and all of your hardware (graphics cards, drive) are still working correctly. If that is indeed what the issue was, let us know. I am curious to find out if this will fix your issue. Good luck.

Comment

Well, just to close out this topic... I unchecked install proprietary.... install went fine... dropped right into Kubuntu 22.04 without changing a thing on the hardware (other than the BIOS as mentioned earlier but... was just while i was in there .. doubt it did anything)..

now I just apt installed the proprietary nvidia drivers ... and I'm training pytorch models again... phew! though I wish we could report this somewhere

Comment

Glad you figured out the problem. I do not plan to use that option again on a clean install in the future.

Comment

Well, just to close out this topic..... and I'm training pytorch models again......
                  I noticed you failed to mention one important piece of hardware necessary for your setup ... a seat belt!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X