This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is hibernation supported with Secure Boot + LVM + Luks

My company installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS for me in a new laptop. I installed the kubuntu-desktop package on top to use Plasma.

I'd like to have hibernation (aka suspend to disk) but the instructions I find online (set up the swap partition in Grub and add some policy file) don't have any effect. Many articles state that my scenario (Secure Boot + LVM + Luks) is not supported or unstable. What's the situation as of 22.04 LTS?

if it isn't supported in Linux, or Ubuntu specifically, then it won't be any different in Kubuntu.

Can you give some links to info you have found on the topic?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      if it isn't supported in Linux, or Ubuntu specifically, then it won't be any different in Kubuntu.

Can you give some links to info you have found on the topic?
      To name a few:

How to Enable Hibernate Function in Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

The command below won’t work for secure boot!! You have to disable it in BIOS/EFI for using hibernate.
      How to enable the hibernate option in Ubuntu 20.04?

you probably need to disable secure boot under the security menu in the UEFI/BIOS

Looking for the error message (Failed to hibernate system via logind: Sleep verb "hibernate" not supported) I also found some mailing list archive talking about kernel support being removed, but I can't find the link now, let alone remember what kernel version it was.

When it comes to documentation in Ubuntu site, there're several community articles on the subject, most of it clearly outdated (although it rarely says what version it applies to). If you filter for official documentation you get a broken link.

Comment

To add more confusion... I've tried to reproduce my setup in VirtualBox, and sudo systemctl hibernate works out of the box! Yes, Plasma is not aware of this and doesn't offer a button, but the feature works.

I wouldn't be surprised that it all depends on the exact hardware 😭

Comment

In virtualbox, you won't have secure boot (I think?), so yeah, hibernation will work there.

If you are not allowed to disable secure boot, then you may be out of luck.
          *buntu support booting with secure boot enabled, but that is for dual-booting Windows, mostly.
          Linux does not need it, so if it is the only OS installed, it can be disabled, if your employer allows it.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            In virtualbox, you won't have secure boot (I think?)
            I've clicked the "Enable EFI" checkbox and I have a UEFI Firmware menu entry in Grub but, to be honest, I don't know if that means I have Secure Boot enabled.

Comment

Working...
            X