Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22.04 upgrade Maximum number of clients reachedqt.qpa.xcb: could not connect

Brix1900 - Upgraded to 22.04 using -d version and find ability to open multiple apps/programs severely curtailed. Running Konsole, Firefox (5 abs) and Krusader gives a value 490 using lsof -U | wc -l so I have to reboot frequently. I have installed Wayland but cannot find how to switch from X-org (I use automatic login) and I am not sure how to proceed. Do I try to increase number of x-clients somehow or persevere with getting Wayland to work? Solutions on forums seem to relate to earlier versions of Ubuntu or Kubuntu.

Originally posted by divot View Post
    I have installed Wayland but cannot find how to switch from X-org (I use automatic login) and I am not sure how to proceed
    In System Settings, you can set this option for auto login in Startup and Shutdown >> SDDM >> behavior.
    You will also be able to select the session type from the SDDM login screen if you want to switch between them without rebooting.

You probably need to make sure that plasma-workspace-wayland is installed.

But with your error, there is something else going on, not sure if trying wayland helps with this or not.

Comment

To see if using wayland will fix the problem, you need to go to system settings>startup and shutdown> and click the behavior button at the bottom left. Then uncheck the first box that says automatically login as user . . . Then select either Wayland or X11 in the session drop down menu on the login screen. In the future, I would recommend you disable the automatic login feature before performing system upgrades. You can always re-enable it for convenience if things work successfully.
      I tried to upgrade Jammy from command line and found my system completely unusable. I had to do a fresh install in order to upgrade successfully. SO there can be issues when upgrading this way. Also, be aware wayland may or may not work for you either. I have had issues with it, menus popping up in the wrong place, icons in the tray not working when clicked, mouse freezing, etc. I do not believe Wayland is yet a drop in replacement for X. But that being said, good luck. If you cannot get things working correctly, consider a fresh reinstall using a live usb/DVD to do the upgrade. One of the downsides of *buntus.

Comment

Using Wayland has helped (so far) although strangely Kaffeine opens a VLC sub window even after a purge and reinstall.

On a tangential aspect, the same upgrade on a Lenovo Yoga 3-11 produced a login boot-loop which was resolved via tty with a purge of Kodi followed by a purge and reinstall of kubuntu-desktop.

Comment

Well Wayland proved not to be a permanent fix - desktop ikons would replicate and the computer would ultimately freeze needing a hard reset. I have reverted to plasma where I still max out on the number of clients. Running lsof -U +c 15 | cut -f1 -d' ' | sort | uniq -c | sort
          -rn | head -3 from identified kded5 as the principal culprit.Further research led me to
          'kded5 leaks X-Window connections: Maximum number of clients reached' at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=453280. Supposedly a mod was made in June 22 for Manjuro Linux but it seems to be a problem for pure kubuntu. I am able to killall kded5 to reduce the problem but it was not needed before updating to 22.04

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
            I tried to upgrade Jammy from command line and found my system completely unusable. I had to do a fresh install in order to upgrade successfully. SO there can be issues when upgrading this way. ....
            This is one reason why I use BTRFS. A few weeks ago I had a bad Neon update. Rather than try to scout around for a solution, or debug the problem, I merely rolled back to the snapshot I made before I tried the backup. I always create a backup snapshot before an upgrade. Why not? It only takes a minute or so to log into root and run the commands to create @yyyymmddhhmm from @ manually. (I don't use snapper or TimeShift). And rolling @ back to @yyyymmddhhmm takes no longer. Reboot and you're done!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Rolling back is not an option. I assume I can write a script to kill kded5 after a restart, wait for the upgrade of kscreen to 5.24.6 (currently 5.24.4) or can I force an upgrade.

Comment

Chiming in to say that I also have been experiencing the "Maximum number of clients reached" error for a while, and I'm thankful that there's a thread on the forums that mentions it.

Anyways, I tried to apply and package the fix mentioned earlier in the thread (https:// bugs.kde.org/ show_bug.cgi?id=453280). Here's the resulting PPA: https:// launchpad.net/ ~tqdv/ +archive/ ubuntu/ ppa which contains a patched kscreen v5.24.4. I hold no responsibility if this package breaks your system, install at your own risk. However, I have installed it myself and rebooted without any apparent issues. Now to see if it does fix the problem or not...

Hope it helps someone.

NB: the links look weird because I can't post URL's yet

Comment

the links look weird because I can't post URL's yet
                  Gotcha! thanks for pointing that out. Keep us posted on the situation, hopefully this is the immediate solution to the OPs problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X