X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maximum size of an OS in virtualbox

Hello Everybody,

If you chosed 15 GB for the installation of your OS, and if your RAM is 8 GB and if your swap is 9 GB big. Can you say that the size of any OS in Virtualbox will never be able to be more than
    15 + 8 + 9 GB?

That isn't correct. The 'size' of an installed OS will be limited by the size of the VM you create. The amount of RAM (I'm assuming here, you mean video RAM) has no bearing on the VM size. The amount of swap you specify does. So, in your example, you have a 15 GB VM that will contain a swap of 9 GB (whether as a swap file or a swap partition; doesn't matter), so you would have 6 GB available for the actual OS. That isn't anywhere near big enough.

When I create a VM, I generally don't make it any smaller than 50 GB; generally 75 GB.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
      your swap is 9 GB big.
      I don't think you need such a large swap partition for a VM. Just let the installer automatically create the swap file instead of using a separate partition - iirc it will be around 2gb. More than enough in a VM.

Can you say that the size of any OS in Virtualbox will never be able to be more than
      15 + 8 + 9 GB?
      This depends on what settings you use in Virtualbox. Yopu can have it use a set size, or dynamically sized. In any case, you can increase it if needed.
      https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/re...-in-virtualbox

Comment

I meant 15 GB for the OS on the partition and 9 GB also on a partition.
        I'm sorry that I was not clear.
        Thank you very much Snowhog. I suppose that when your VM is 50 or 75 GB big, it means that the OS on which the VM runs is at least 50 or 75 GB big or am I wrong?
        Thank you claydoh. I wrote 9 GB here just for the example. I meant the swap of the OS on which the VM runs. I don't decide its size
        My VM is dynamically sized.
        Last edited by nicrnicr; Apr 15, 2022, 11:10 AM.

Comment

when your VM is 50 or 75 GB big, it means that the OS on which the VM runs is at least 50 or 75 GB big or am I wrong?
          You are wrong. VM size is the same as HD size. A VM of 50 GB would be like a 50 GB hard drive.

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog for your answer.
            If I am wrong, can I have a VM of 75 GB (which means 75 GB hd) installed on an OS whose partition is 25 GB big?

Comment

No. The VM can’t be bigger than available space on the HD it will reside in.

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog

Comment

Working...
                X