Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which file system is best for Linux on an external drive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which file system is best for Linux on an external drive?

I have an external ssd for backup and storage.
    I also have some desktop shortcuts that I wanted to backup.
    When I dragged them to the backup drive, I got an error that said the destination filesystem (ExFAT) doesn't support symlinks.

So if I reformat the drive, which filesystem should I use?

If you just want to use it for Linux e.g. ext4 is a good choice (and a bit faster than Btrfs).
    Don't forget to at least sudo chown your_user_name /mount_point/your_external_drive your mounted external drive after re-formatting it in ext4 with e.g. KDE Partition Manager or GParted. Otherwise root will be the owner!
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 09, 2024, 08:46 AM. Reason: addition, typo
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Or not

There are times when chown is not just nice, but absolutely necessary. However, don't be afraid of sudo when it's appropriate; I use rsync a lot when when preserving attributes on file copies.

And, yes, ext4 is good on externals.
      The next brick house on the left
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

I formatted an external 4Tb (Internal really but sitting in a swappable cradle) disk as EXT4 since there are no Windows machines here!
        Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by Beerislife View Post
          I formatted an external 4Tb (Internal really but sitting in a swappable cradle) disk as EXT4 since there are no Windows machines here!
          haha, my younger brother cautioned me about ext4, because I wouldn't be able to use it on Windows. I told him that was fine, because I have no intention to use Windows!

Comment

Note that EXT4 reserves a large chuck of blocks for "root processes" by default - 5%. You do not need reserved blocks on a USB non-system drive. If you've already formatted it, this should set it to zero reserved:

tune2fs -m 0 /dev/yourpartition

If you haven't yet formatted it;
            sudo mkfs.ext4 -m 0 /dev/yourpartition

You can increase access performance with some mount options if you're mounting this using /etc/fstab;

noatime will not record access times when files are touched
            data=writeback will turn off journaling
            Not using sync will increase performance of writes but will require that all write transactions be completed before you remove the drive

I suggest you do a bit of research on the effect of each of these before committing to them.

If you do not use etc/fstab to mount this drive, you can add mount options to a specific USB device file system using /etc/udisks/mount_options.conf

There should be a set of example options in /etc/udisks/mount_options.conf.example
            Last edited by oshunluvr; May 11, 2024, 12:27 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              ...You do not need reserved blocks on a USB drive...
              It's not a USB.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel64 View Post

It's not a USB.
                OK, but its a backup drive not a system drive. No need to reserve blocks for root.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X