This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

The only exception is Wifi cards. A big hassle, with little reward. I just straight for Intel.
    That's an excellent point
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Excellent. Thank you all.
      To be a TAD more specific, I have an older PC, purchased when my other PC "blew up" and I couldn't get Windows to "register" even thou I had the box and number. That's when I turned to to the light side & embraced Linux..... Now. I have a sound card, please don't as for make and model, but Sound blaster something, and when I installed 16.04 of Mint (I think) It had withing the sound settings and on the system bar, a way to adjust the speakers. I could change the Volume of rear to front, the delay, which was very good as it is a 5.1 Surround Sound system.
      Apologies for the massive delay, I lost my rental, and I've was forced into another property and I've been slowly Trying to "Find and sort" things, which doesn't go well with my "Mental health issues"
      any hoo
      Since I've been forced to "Upgrade" to whatever version it is, 22 or 23, I honestly don't know OR care, There is NO, and in NOT THERE, sound card adjustment.

This puzzle's me, as I was there it was in an older version 16, 18, 19, but absent now.
      So specifically how do I add it. I've done the Hardware "search for Propitiatory Hardware" and it found nothing (including the NVIDIA Graphics card) (& sound blaster version sound card).

This is why i was asking about specific hardware for Linux.
      PS. I have a small box full of stuff I have purchased that never worked as I found out later, "windows only".
      Good NOTE. My Corsair mouse, did install or upgrade the "CKB" thing, but no longer is visible in the system bar, or pops up every-time I start/restart the PC. An actual improvement.
      Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
        There also are websites like https://linux-hardware.org/ where you can browse or search the database for other user's experiences with specific hardware components.
        Ummm. Not to be rude, but a Website probing my PC. Is this actually safe Besides Schwarzer Kater, how many others have used this, please? No offence Schwarzer Kater, I sort of have trust issues, even more since Being forced to move.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
          Not to be rude, but a Website probing my PC.
          The site doesn’t ‘probe’ your PC. it’s a site that contains data on hardware that has been reported as compatible with Linux.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well, it does offer you instructions for a way to collect one's hardware info, to add to the database. Not by scanning from a website, but by installing a tool from your distro, or by manually installing it it yourself. The utility hw-probe is available directly in Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieDaves View Post
              Ummm. Not to be rude, but a Website probing my PC. Is this actually safe Besides Schwarzer Kater, how many others have used this, please? No offence Schwarzer Kater, I sort of have trust issues, even more since Being forced to move.
              Snowhog and claydoh already replied to your concern and I don't think you are rude at all.

I really don't know if it is "safe" to use hw-probe and submit the data to their website - but I didn't mean for you to do so, but to simply browse the website's database for the hardware components you have in mind.
              It could indeed contain the information you are looking for: I have the impression that a lot of people already tested their own hardware and submitted the results to help other Linux users (I don't know how many exactly, though).

PS: I also have "trust issues" especially concerning the internet (I always use NoScript and uBlock origin in Firefox for example) - the only data I do submit willingly are the informations one can send to the KDE developers in System Settings, but this is "opt-in" as it should be.
              Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jul 17, 2023, 01:40 AM. Reason: added PS
              Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
              Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
              install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Around 2012, IIRC, I purchased a LogiTech m325 mouse, primarily because it claimed the battery would last 18 months under normal usage. I found that to be approximately true and that has been my mouse of choice every since. My experience is that they last 3 to 5 years. The price started out at around $10-$12 but is now around $15-$18. Inflation, I guess. My hand shakes too much for gaming so aside from Kpatience (Solitare, Freecell), Minecraft and Universal Sandbox^2 my m325 clicks buttons and scrolls pages. Two have stopped working normally in the last 10 years. One because the left button died and the other because the wheel died.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post

Snowhog and claydoh already replied to your concern and I don't think you are rude at all.

I really don't know if it is "safe" to use hw-probe and submit the data to their website - but I didn't mean for you to do so, but to simply browse the website's database for the hardware components you have in mind.
                  It could indeed contain the information you are looking for: I have the impression that a lot of people already tested their own hardware and submitted the results to help other Linux users (I don't know how many exactly, though).

PS: I also have "trust issues" especially concerning the internet (I always use NoScript and uBlock origin in Firefox for example) - the only data I do submit willingly are the informations one can send to the KDE developers in System Settings, but this is "opt-in" as it should be.
                  The utility used for that website is actually readily available in most distro's package archives, so it is probably had some vetting somewhere, sometime. probably trustworthy, though it IS a perl script (who can read that stuff??)
                  I am 100% positive I have used it in the past on some oddball hardware I was using, to add to the database.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

The utility used for that website is actually readily available in most distro's package archives, so it is probably had some vetting somewhere, sometime. probably trustworthy, though it IS a perl script (who can read that stuff??)
                    I am 100% positive I have used it in the past on some oddball hardware I was using, to add to the database.
                    Added to their database huh? Must be an NSA sub-company, or maybe Google.
                    Perl. I was going to study that, but decided it was too risky as a programming language at the time, according to what I was reading in newsgroups (Yes that far back in time)

Comment

Working...
                    X