Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] backports-extra for 22.04 appears to break encrypted root

Hi-

My company recently mandated that my root filesystem had to be encrypted when using Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

So I re-installed with encryption enabled but when I updated all my packages and then added the backports-extra PPA to get to Plasma v5.27.11, it will not boot. It drops into busybox and never prompts with a password to decrypt the root/boot partition.

This appears to be reproducible by adding backports-extra as described here with the commands:
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-extra && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
    So after another reinstall, and then only adding the backport-extra PPA, instead of a full-upgrade I did a series (two actually) of the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrades
    After the first upgrade attempt it appears that the following encfs package marked to be autoremoved:
    Code:
    $ sudo apt upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
     encfs
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
    It's my understanding a full-upgrade does remove (what it thinks) are unnecessary packages, in which case, encfs would be removed, breaking encrypted root.

Why is encfs marked to be autoremoved?
    Is this documented somewhere?
    Is this a bug?
    I searched for a relevant bug but did not see any references (but I will admit, my bug searching abilities are weak).

Bob
    Last edited by tazmo; Jul 23, 2024, 09:18 AM.

Originally posted by tazmo View Post
    sudo apt upgrades
    using apt full-upgrade is rather necessary. The PPA is quite a massive upgrade that iirc some packages need to be removed so that updated replacements can be installed - normal 'upgrade does not allow this.

it does not autoremove, or remove things that are marked as no longer needed. Only those that are being replaced by something else.
    The upgrade would have shown what is being proposed for installation, as well as any required removals.

To prevent autormoval, you can simply install/reinstall the package. sudo apt install encfs. This is one way to mark this as manually installed as opposed to automatic, and thus no longer offered for autoremoval
    Or sudo apt mark manual encfs

But something seems amiss on your system. I don't see any plasma packages that would even involve drive encryption, since that is an Ubuntu OS level thing, not a desktop (Kubuntu) level item, but package deps can be convoluted.
    I don't see any reports of similar things being reported or mentioned by users anywhere , so far. But I imagine the number of people still using 22.04 + backports-extra instead of 24.04 is quite small.

Is using 24.04 not an option, since it comes with Plasma 5.27 natively?
    Any other PPAs or other external sources being used?
    are you updating the system before adding the PPA?

Do a full-upgrade dry run, and report what is offered.

Comment

This would be the result of the removal of the plasma-vault encfs dependency, inherited from debian packaging of latest plasma 5 and upstream changes in the default backend for the vaults to cryfs.

https://tracker.debian.org/news/1368...into-unstable/
      On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you acheron. That appears to be the most likely culprit.

I will leave this here "for the archives" that if the host root filesystem is encrypted in Kubuntu 22.04 and the backports-extra packages are applied to update Plasma to v5.27.11, encyption will "break".

Comment

Working...
        X