X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

premissions on mounted drives

Hi,
    I have mulitple storage drives on my PC all NTFS, I open Dolphin and click them, they mount - I can view contents but not allowed to make folders or do anything - Ideally can I just have them auto mount and allow me to add/make folders. And to play nice when I reboot into Windows 10. ?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

NTFS does not incorporate the same permissions/ownership schema that the ext-type filesystems do . The OSes approach security in a different way. Not saying that one is better than the other, but they are different enough to make commonplace the behavior that you are seeing. I don't dual boot, but generally the only reason for making use of a partition, in Linux, that has an NTFS filesystem, is for file execution in either OS. That works fine, generally.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Most of us don't use NTFS and don't need it because we don't use Windows, so you may not get an actual answer very quickly here.

I believe the answer is that by default, Dolphin does not allow user level access to NTFS partitions. You may need to mount them outside Dolphin with user access, then access the mount points with Dolphin.

You stated that these are "storage drives." Assuming this means installed in your PC rather than removable; typically, permanent (as in non-removable) devices are mounted in /etc/fstab rather than by Dolphin. Then you can control the mounting options. The default mounting options for NTFS are:

rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=0,group_id =0,allow_other,blksize=4096

The "allow_other" entry basically sets the mount permissions at rwxrwxrwx so will allow your user (all users actually) to access the drives fully. If this in undesirable to you, then adjust the mount options accordingly.

If these are USB stoage devices, you can set mounting options for them in System Settings, Removable Storage.

Please Read Me

Comment

I use NTFS for some storage, and I don't have any permissions problems I can recall ....BUT WIndows can cause this problem as its 'fast startup' option puts drives in a saved state to speed boot times. It is similar to hibernating.
        Try disabling that option, and this should clear the read-only states.

Comment

Originally posted by natman View Post
          Hi,
          I have mulitple storage drives on my PC all NTFS, I open Dolphin and click them, they mount - I can view contents but not allowed to make folders or do anything - Ideally can I just have them auto mount and allow me to add/make folders. And to play nice when I reboot into Windows 10. ?
          Dolphin auto-mounts my NTFS drives with useful permissions. I believe Claydoh has the right idea - disable 'fast start' in Windows and reboot. That should mark the NTFS partitions 'clean' again.

Comment

Working...
          X