X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I partition correctly ?

Hi,
    So have a 500GB drive, and wanted it to be Win10/Kubuntu and a shared fat32 for easy access to common files. When in windows I click on file manager and see that my C drive is 121 GB as expected with 'Local Disk D" being 222GB and no sign of Linux. When in Kubuntu I see in dolphin, 222 GiB Hard Drive, Basic data partition and 121 GiB Hard drive and my home folder seems to be only 30mb when I right clicked and asked for properties ?

Also 222GB and Basic data parition in Kubuntu have little red ticks to say not mounted. I guess I just find the windows one more straight forward.

What is basic data parttion and how do you see the disk size easily in dolphin ? I assume I did it correctly?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Windows can't read Linux file systems without third party tools, so firm that OS, this sounds correct. 121Gb for Windows, 222gb for the fat32 drive shared between OSs, and the rest can't be seen.

A screenshot may be useful here, so we can see what you are seeing.

'Basic Data Partition' is just a generic name for a partition or drive that does not have a label. I think. Not quite sure.

Which folder are you looking at to check the size, specifically? Your home folder is /home/your-username. This may be pretty small in size as you have not yet done anything in it that takes up much space just yet - some basic config files.
    Last edited by claydoh; Aug 22, 2020, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Windows can't read Linux file systems without third party tools, so firm that OS, this sounds correct. 121Gb for Windows, 222gb for the fat32 drive shared between OSs, and the rest can't be seen.

A screenshot may be useful here, so we can see what you are seeing.

'Basic Data Partition' is just a generic name for a partition or drive that does not have a label. I think. Not

Which folder are you looking at to check the size, specifically? Your home folder is /home/your-username. This may be pretty small in size as you have not yet done anything in it that takes up much space just yet - some basic config files.
      This is what im seeing in Kubuntu:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/18ut...ew?usp=sharing

Sorry just a follow up, so the PC has
      1) NVME m.2 500gb - this is the one with win10/Kubuntu/data
      2) 250 gb ssd and a 120gb ssd , both empty
      3) 2x 500gb hdd's , one holding photos.

Perhaps I was wrong to split the OS drive into three, and should have just had the 250gb ssd be the shared data.
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

You can set up partitions any way you like.
        so, what specifically is wrong, other than the unclear names?

Comment

Just was unsure what 'basic data' was, and why the little red tag next to the drive - so if basic data is my / ? why is there a little red tag with it?

Comment

It's only wrong if it doesn't work for you!

If you would, in Kubuntu from a konsole, enter:
            Code:
            lsblk -fp
            Then copy the output and past in a code box (the # button in the thread reply box). it gives really good outline of all the disks.
            Here's an example:
            Code:
            john@john-Desktop:~/Downloads$ lsblk -fp
            NAME        FSTYPE LABEL UUID                                 FSAVAIL FSUSE% MOUNTPOINT
            /dev/sda                                                                     
            └─/dev/sda1 ext4         97534121-229e-4d67-921f-fd05ed312100  264.1G    37% /home
            /dev/sdb                                                                     
            ├─/dev/sdb1 vfat         8AA3-ACDF                              84.8M     8% /boot/efi
            ├─/dev/sdb2 ext4         17b69d79-eb5d-4f83-8db4-03efedf40964   81.9G     9% /
            └─/dev/sdb3 swap         8f4e2875-45be-469b-8f09-a49bfe182ae8                [SWAP]
            /dev/sr0
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by natman View Post
              Hi,
              So have a 500GB drive... home directory seems to be only 30mb when I right clicked and asked for properties ?
              I'm not sure what you clicked on; there's several, um ... "things" you could click on in dolphin. 30 MiB sounds like the contents of the home directory of a new install. If you right-click on Home in the "Places" panel and choose "Properties" the "Size" is the sum of the contents' sizes. Look to the bottom for the "Free Space", it might say something like "42.0 GiB free of 50.0 GiB"; 50.0 GiB is the size of the partition.

Anyway, dolphin is not a partition manager. I suggest you run
              Code:
              lsblk -o name,fstype,label,mountpoint,size,fsuse%
              and post the results here in code /code tags. Or, start System->KDE partition manager, select the 500 GB drive, widen the window to see all the data, and post a screenshot (mandatory warning, the partition manager will wipe stuff if you tell it to).
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Just was unsure what 'basic data' was, and why the little red tag next to the drive - so if basic data is my / ? why is there a little red tag with it?
                The marking just indicates it is not currently mounted, clicking it will mount/open it.

Comment

and a shared fat32 for easy access to common files.
                  i suggest NTFS. especially since you have win10 available at the other end of the disk for any possible partition/file system repairs.

FAT32 does not support larger files (only up to 4GB) and also has higher fragmentation which will slow down the file access (though depends on how much you actually are accessing the files). FAT32 also has some other limitation (e.g. not a journaling file system) that were overcame by NTFS up to a point.

Comment

Working...
                  X