This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Can't I Get New Global Themes?

I could easily have posted this in Help the New Guy but I suspect there's a limit as to how long you can play that card!

I've been running Kubuntu 20.04 since its release with no problems...I mean, at least as far as day-to-day functioning (I had 19.04 briefly before that)...with the exception of some Wandering Widgets (reported here with that term in the Title) which seems to have cured itself. But now I'm stumped as to why I can't load any new Global Themes.

Going directly into Global Themes, I have Breeze, Breeze Dark and Kubuntu. But clicking on Get New Global Themes produces an immediate notification "Unknown Open Collaboration Service API Error (0)" followed by long minutes of fruitless animation "wheel spinning."

I decided to check the docs but those for 19.04 are the most current at this point. Nevertheless, it says there:

To change your theme go to System Settings -> Workspace Theme in the Desktop Theme section, then choose from the list of installed themes. You can change the theme of the Desktop Theme, Cursor Theme, and the Splash Screen. Pick from the default choices that are installed, or left-click the ‘Get New. . . ’ button in each section for more choices.

Obviously, System Settings > Workspace doesn't produce a Theme choice anymore in 20.04 and there is no Desktop Theme in the left-side menu but, regardless, the Global Theme icon is still present in the main display there and it's pretty clear that's still where I need to go. AND it's also clear that adding new themes should be as easy as tapping a button. So what gives? Is that API error flagging the problem?
    Last edited by DPool; Jul 09, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Did you upgrade from 19.10 or do a clean install? I ask because I recently installed the Aritim - Light Theme in kubuntu 20.04 using public WiFi. It took a few minutes and the theme elements did not show in global themes itself but it was in the various theme related sections. I used the same method for getting the new theme as you. Think I chose highest rated and they displayed.

Edit: Just tried bringing up new themes and they are displaying for me today either, kde-look.org is loading in the browser though...

"Unknown Open Collaboration Service API Error {0}" is what I am getting today.
    Last edited by exploder; Jul 09, 2020, 09:11 AM.

Comment

There is an issue with the kde store, where all these themes etc come from. "The Get New Struff" tool can't connect to the store API. This seems to have happened yesterday.
      At one point, the website was down as well -- store.kde.org. That is up now, so one could at least browse themes and the like. Downloads seem broken still.

So, it is a temporary issue with a website, not an issue with Plasma or Kubuntu. This is effecting everyone

The names of the different themeing bits has changed

With the relatively recent Global Themes taking off, you now have old 'desktop theme' name changed to 'plasma style'

A theme is a collection of Plasma styles, color schemes, icons, etc. Before it was Themes and ... Themes, which is a bit confusing

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200709_111530.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	644824

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200709_111550.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	644825
      Last edited by claydoh; Jul 09, 2020, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Thanks claydoh!

Comment

Thanks for the update, @claydoh, and the full explanation. It helps to know it's a) nothing stupid at the user interface and b) also nothing wrong with my Kubuntu install. I'll just be patient...and watch for the appearance of some themes!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

The names of the different themeing bits has changed

With the relatively recent Global Themes taking off, you now have old 'desktop theme' name changed to 'plasma style'

A theme is a collection of Plasma styles, color schemes, icons, etc. Before it was Themes and ... Themes, which is a bit confusing

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8978[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8979[/ATTACH]
            So, just to be sure I haven't misunderstood the meaning here: are you saying that any component of Plasma Style can be added in (or over) a Global Theme (which I would have thought would be quite "locked")? Or are the Plasma Style components there for anyone who sets out to "build your own theme"?

Comment

Originally posted by DPool View Post
              So, just to be sure I haven't misunderstood the meaning here: are you saying that any component of Plasma Style can be added in (or over) a Global Theme (which I would have thought would be quite "locked")?
              Yes, things are not locked at all

Think of a global theme like a program in your package manager. One program may have multiple dependencies that are also installed. A Global Theme is actually just a list of components to install. You will see all the individual parts in the different Appearance sections in System Settings.

Or are the Plasma Style components there for anyone who sets out to "build your own theme"?
              Yes, or just want to change one aspect.

I generally don't use global themes, other than the stock Breeze one. I like the colors, icons, window decorations, etc.
              What I do NOT like is how the Breeze panel and widgets look. So I find some transparent or translucent plasma style that has a bit of blur and use that.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 09, 2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Here's a video to supplement claydoh's answers: https://youtu.be/I-_-B0d_6dI?t=650
                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                  Here's a video to supplement claydoh's answers: https://youtu.be/I-_-B0d_6dI?t=650
                  Thanks! That's a very rich video...worthy of multiple viewings because, as often happens with someone who knows the material (no matter what the subject), it's all covered just a tad too quickly, as if I'm already familiar with everything he knows!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    I generally don't use global themes, other than the stock Breeze one. I like the colors, icons, window decorations, etc.
                    What I do NOT like is how the Breeze panel and widgets look. So I find some transparent or translucent plasma style that has a bit of blur and use that.
                    Just thought of a follow-up here: once you've done that and found the Style that modifies Breeze to your satisfaction...can you save that out in some way and always have it ready for re-use without having to make the selection(s) all over again?

Comment

Well, for me it is just remembering which plasma style I like and simply reinstalling and selecting it.
                      I also have my settings and data backups (ie my entiore home dir) backed up, so they are never really lost.

There is a widget that saves your plasma settings https://store.kde.org/p/1298955
                      (yay the store seems to be fixed!)

I think it is a bit clunky to have to add a widget to a panel or desktop, as this tool is not likely used often, but it backs up the entire desktop settings, including downloaded themes, styles, icons, and widgets, and even includes a screenshot. From the tool you can export the file, and then use the widget to restore the settings and files on a new or restored system.

Comment

Working...
                      X