X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot precautions; recommendation?

Hi,

I have been using Linux distributions for several years now in my main personal PC. I always have had a partition configuration like this:
    1- Main Linux partition boot
    2- Secondary Linux partition boot
    3- My Data partition

In 1, currently I have Kubuntu. In 2, I always keep Mint. In 3, is my user's data. A couple of days ago, this partition setup saved me, as the Kernel update failed in partition 1, and I could manage to work under Mint. I later found out that I could work under a previous kernel in partition 1, selecting it from the Grub menu.

Recently, I installed Kubuntu in a HP zBook 14u G4. The whole HD with Kubuntu, and all is just perfect. So obviously, I don't get into a grub menu in the laptop, as Kubuntu is the only one distro there. But, if I run in a similar situation as in my PC, where the latest kernel fails in the laptop... how can I get to load a previous kernel? is there an FX key I may press to come up with a boot menu and select the kernel I need to boot with? Or should I partition the laptop as I have my PC, in case of a Kubuntu boot contingency?

Grub is still loading, it's just doing it with a hidden menu. You can un-hide it by changing the defaults or by holding the SHIFT or ESC key during boot. Which one depends on your setup and timing.

In any case, IMO having a backup distro is never a bad idea if you have the space - jus' sayin'. Never know when you'll bork your system. Alternately, have a bootable USB handy.

Please Read Me

Comment

Stabbing the esc key just past the bios/logo splash should bring up the grub menu, tho that is tricky for me if I get the timing wrong, as this also can open my PC's bios menu if I do it too early.
      You can tweak grub to always show, as well, or change the timeout from 0 to a few seconds.
      Grub-customizer should be useful for this.

Comment

I do what you are doing, the whole drive is devoted to Kubuntu. If something goes wrong I'll boot to Knoppix on a USB drive and fix my problems from there. https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/di...-distribution/

Comment

(Note that with a modern PC, there should be a small EFI System Partition.)

An alternative to another partition for another install, is to use a big btrfs partition, with several installs in it. That way, one doesn't have to juggle space between the different installs, and data directories. Separation is done with subvolumes.
          Regards, John Little

Comment

In the past I've been bitten by having a single /home shared by two different installs (with their own root)
            Because different versions will likely want to save different configurations in that /home/.* potentially overwriting the other one.

So since many years I give each their own /home but link things like ./mozilla and ./thunderbird from the main to the secondary /home.

Even that isn't totally foolproof as recently seen with Firefox that had been updated using Neon was marked as a incompatible version when opening it on Kubuntu 20.04.
            Also updating Firefox on 20.04 solved the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X