This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin shows wrong date on a removable USB stick

I have just noticed this. I copied a file into a USB stick today which today's date is 01/29/2021, but it shows modified on the USB stick a date of 03/01/2021! I'm assuming this is must be a bug, but is it going to get fixed any time soon?

If some one has noticed this, and reports it on KDE's bug tracker, it probably would be fixed at some point.
    But if no one reports this, or notices or cannot reproduce it, it would be hard to say.

I can't reproduce this, using the most current version of Dolphin available from KDE. Maybe someone on 20.04 can check?
    I haven't dug up a bug report on this on bugs.kde.org so far.

Does this happen consistently with different files? Does it change if you close and reopen Dolphin, or log out/reboot?

Comment

I even rebooted and it's showing the wrong date. I have two separate hard drives on this computer. I have Manjaro KDE on my first hard drive, and it show correctly on that. Manjaro is using a Dolphin 20.12.1 version, which is newer. Kubuntu is using the dophon version 19.12.3. May be that’s why! The stick that shows the wrong date is a hyperx 128GIB formatted exfat (only on Kunutu, but not Manjaro).

I also use an SSD hard drive for backup formatted NFTS. It shows the correct date on that on both Manjaro and Kububtu also. So it has a bug problem with exfat formatted disk.

I just tested another USB stick formatted (exfat). It shows the correct date when you copy, but if you unplug the USB and go back it shows the wrong date. Then, I reformatted again to fat32, and it shows the correct date this time. So the problem is with exfat formatted USB sticks, which is fixed in the dolphin version 20.12.1.

I also didn't see any exfat option in the KDE partition manager. May be that's why!

Comment

I also didn't see any exfat option in the KDE partition manager. May be that's why!
        No, the partition manager needs third party tools to create and manage exfat. Read/write is still new in the Linux kernel, which may be a clue here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1872504
        and
        https://patrick-nagel.net/blog/archives/664

No idea if this is Ubuntu specific, or is related to the 5.4 kernel and its newly added support.

Comment

Well that explains. The second link offers a quick fix, but I'm not sure if I should do it or not.
          sudo apt install exfat-fuse exfat-utils

I installed it and worked like a charm,and it's showing the correct date now!
          Last edited by fhins; Jan 29, 2021, 09:20 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

Interesting.
            Since quite a while I have a similar problem with the files on the SD card of my Nikon D850 camera, the shown date is wrong.
            Installing the exfat utilities did not change it.

Comment

Working...
            X