This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Days Are Full Of Printer Surprises

I've been having problems with my HP DJ 3755, which has always been stable and useful. I believe that with each kernel update, the kernel and the available HPLIP packages were getting farther apart. At first I thought an old USB A-B that I had been using was just going bad, so I bought a new one. That didn't help, at all.

I tried all kinds of HPLIP packages including from the repos and several from HP. All no good. So today, I pulled the USB cable from the PC and the printer. And in one last try before drop kicking the printer, I hit the wifi button on the Deskjet. The normal HPLIP wifi install is complex, and it didn't work either, back a few weeks ago. But, this time as soon as the wifi LED stopped flashing, the HP install dialog box popped up the wifi identity for the printer showing. I selected the HP "driverless" driver option and within a few seconds the printer was showing in the System Settings printers page, complete with the ink levels indicators. A print test page came right out and all is well.

So, if you have a wifi capable HP that is giving you fits about not working with HPLIP, uninstall HPLIP, pull the cable, hit the wifi button. It just might work.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Read this. Go down to USB printing.

It's from Mint but it applies to *buntus:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3969

Comment

I read the Mint blog and it explains the issue I had trying to get my printer running in Kubuntu 20.4. The auto printer discovery could be a good thing but it isn't ready yet for prime time. Maybe by next April this will be sorted out.

-=Ken=-
      -=Ken=-
      "A man has to know his limitations." Harry Callihan (Dirty Harry)
      DIY ASRock AB350, AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 16 GB RAM, nvidia GT-710, kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
        Read this. Go down to USB printing.

It's from Mint but it applies to *buntus:

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3969
        Interesting discoveries. Maybe some will trickle over/up to the *buntus. In the meantime, I'm hanging on to what seems to be working, WRT to the printing thing on wifi. If that fails, I'll follow the recommendation to remove the ipp* package and see what that does.. Appreciate the input!
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Network printing, over wired or wireless is the most reliable. I refuse to buy a non networked printer now.

Comment

Working...
          X