X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Problems: Broken Dependencies on KPackageKit and Cannot play .avi files

Hi Everyone,
    I just upgraded to Karmic Koala and I am having a couple of problems.

1. When I access KPackageKit to get updates or look for applications, I get an error message that my system has broken dependencies, and that I should use an advanced package like Synaptic or aptitude to resolve the problem.
    Where can I get any of these packages?

2. On the previous version, I used Kaffeine to play .avi files (tv shows and movies I downloaded).
    When I try to play these files on the new version, I get a black screen, even though the sound track plays OK.
    How can I solve this?

All help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Luis

Re: Two Problems: Broken Dependencies on KPackageKit and Cannot play .avi files

Where can I get any of these packages?
    Aptitude is installed, you can run it from the shell. When you type aptitude in shell, you start GUI version, when you start shell and type
    Code:
    $ aptitude update
    $ aptitude install synaptic
    you can install synaptic.
    You can also find and install synaptic when you type it in the search box in kpackagekit.

Have you tried other video players like vlc? Install it the same way as synaptic.
    Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Hi,
      I tried this and it didn't work.

I keep getting an error that the flashplugin-nonfree package is in a very bad or inconsistent state and needs to be fixed. I tried updating, reinstalling, etc. and it does not work.

It says that I need to manually fix this package. How do I do that?

I am attaching a screen print of the errors I'm getting.

All will help be appreciated.
      Attached Files

Comment

I didn't see the output in your text file showing you had done the "update" function.

Myself, I prefer apt-get for cli package installing.

Open a terminal:

sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get clean
        sudo apt-get check
        sudo apt-get install synaptic

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried as you suggested.

Attached is the screen capture from the terminal.

I did:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get clean
          sudo apt-get check
          - here i got a list of unmet dependencies and got the suggestion to do -f so i entered
          sudo apt-get check -f
          - supposedly is corrected the unmet dependencies, so i tried
          sudo apt-get install synaptic
          - got error messages, so I tried
          sudo apt-get -f install..... etc ( see attached file)

I am still getting the message that the flashplugin-nonfree package need to be manually fixed.

What else can I do? Do I have to reinstall KK from scratch?

Thanks,
          Luis

Comment

Sorry forgot to attach de file with the shell screen capture.

See attached.
            Attached Files

Comment

You might try removing the broken packages, then installing synaptic, then re-installing the non-free codecs

Please Read Me

Comment

To remove a broken package you can try this:
                Code:
                sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq name_of_broken_package
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get --fix-broken upgrade
                If you get an error on this, you need to remove all necessary files and folders manually. You can get list of those files and folders with kpackagekit at the broken package. Then remove some files in /var/lib/dpkg/info/ if error message pointed on them and at the end run sudo apt-get --fix-broken upgrade
                If you had Synaptic installed, you could try to use it to repair broken package, bad luck.

Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Hi,
                  I tried as you suggested and still having problems with the package.
                  I tried the force remove and here's what I got:

luis@luis-laptop:~$ sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq flashplugin-nonfree
                  [sudo] password for luis:
                  dpkg: warning: overriding problem because --force enabled:
                  Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
                  reinstall it before attempting a removal.
                  (Reading database ... 272673 files and directories currently installed.)
                  Removing flashplugin-nonfree ...
                  update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
                  update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for iceape-flashplugin.
                  dpkg: error processing flashplugin-nonfree (--remove):
                  subprocess installed pre-removal script returned error exit status 2
                  postinst called with argument `abort-remove'
                  dpkg: error while cleaning up:
                  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
                  Errors were encountered while processing:
                  flashplugin-nonfree

How can I manually remove this package?

Is there a way to reinstall the whole thing without losing my files?
                  If not, maybe I should just backup my files and install the newest version.

Attached is the file with the whole process I followed this time out.

All help and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks,
                  Luis
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X