This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma widget network-manager

How do I get the network-manager widget to appear on the desktop, I had to downgrade from Lucid to Karmic as wicd does not work on either one now, as I need a desktop icon for networks for use in coffee shops, wicd will not connect keeps saying bad password on my home system and open systems it cannot get ip address, yet network manger works all the time, just need a desktop icon for it, can anyone help me?? Thanks in advance

Re: Plasma widget network-manager

Wicd works FINE on Lucid, because I am using both as I write.

Your problem arises from the fact that parts of KNetworkmanager are interfering with wicd. The error that you are getting is a common symptom of that interference. When I encountered the same problem I solved it by FIRST

installing
    wicd
    wicd-daemon
    wicd-gtk
    python-notify
    python-wicd

then removing:
    knm-runtime
    network-manager
    network-manager-kde
    network-manager-gnome
    network-manager-openvpn
    network-manager-pptp
    network-manager-vpnc

and then rebooting.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Plasma widget network-manager

just tried that and wicd sees all the connections, but will not connect using Karmic, says cannot get ip address, so I still need help

Comment

Re: Plasma widget network-manager (please remove this topic, posted in wrong area)

Well, let's get back to fundamentals: what's the make and model of your box and what is the brand of the wifi chip?

What does
        lspci | grep Network
        show?

And
        iwlist scanning

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X