This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dansguardian will not start

This is a repeat of a post I just made in the Ubuntu forums.

I have installed dansguardian on Kubuntu Karmic. Dansguardian is not starting at boot. When I try and manually start the service I get:

sudo service dansguardian start
    * Starting DansGuardian dansguardian Error creating/opening pid file:/var/run/dansguardian/dansguardian.pid
    Exiting with error
    If I then manually create /var/run/dansguardian with "sudo mkdir /var/run/dansguardian" the service will then launch happily. Of course, after reboot /var/run/dansguardian is removed and I am back at sqaure one.

I would greatly appreciate some guidance on what I can do to get this working at boot.

Re: dansguardian will not start

I'm not familiar with the product, but I noticed this in the package information:
    DansGuardian requires squid or another similar caching proxy server
    on your local network.

Comment

A lengthly thread, but likely contains everything that one needs to know about get dansguardian installed/configured.

HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop AND for a network
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        I'm not familiar with the product, but I noticed this in the package information:
        DansGuardian requires squid or another similar caching proxy server
        on your local network.
        I'm using Squid for the proxy. If I start dansguardian manually it all works fine. It seems to be a permission issue in that when launching the service the pid file cannot be created, but the technicalities of how services are started at boot-up etc is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          A lengthly thread, but likely contains everything that one needs to know about get dansguardian installed/configured.

HOWTO: Install Dansguardian on a single desktop AND for a network
          Could not find anything to help, other than some links to alternative installation scripts which I may be forced to use. However, I have everything configured and working how I want it now, provided I manually start it, so am reluctant to wipe the slate clean.

Comment

Found a kludgy solution. Placed this in my rc.local:

Code:
            mkdir /var/run/dansguardian
            service dansguardian start
            It works, but is pretty crappy. If anyone can enlighten me as to why the pid file cannot be created when dansguardian is launched through the normal init.d script I would be greatly appreciative.

Comment

Working...
            X