This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KOffice 2.2 (beta 1) deb or PPA?

KOffice 2.2 beta 1 just came out and I was hoping to try it but I'm weary of trying to build from source (since every time I've tried to build something from source, it's never worked). Is there a .deb or PPA for Kubuntu users? There should be!

Or, has anybody built from source successfully in Karmic without any problems?

Re: KOffice 2.2 (beta 1) deb or PPA?

I see you already posted a comment on KOffice.org >> Blog Archive, so you obviously saw/read that:
    Sources and Binary Packages

The source code to KOffice 2.2 beta 1 can be downloaded from download.kde.org. Binary packages of KOffice 2.2beta1 will be available and announced separately as soon as the respective distribution provides them.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, but when? That is the question. I know how long it took with 2.1 to land in the Kubuntu PPA..
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

"The 2.2beta1 release of KOffice gives you a preview of what will be new and improved when the final 2.2 version is released in May."

Comment

I know. But we have Kubuntu PPA - Beta Backports.
          Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Yes, but the devs haven't built a KOffice .deb file so...

Comment

Oh, I didn't notice that bit actually. Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Still no 2.2... It's taking long o_o

Comment

Wouldn't you think it in the interest of the KOffice developers to get an (K)Ubuntu build as soon as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye
                    Wouldn't you think it in the interest of the KOffice developers to get an (K)Ubuntu build as soon as possible?
                    Nope. They already have much to do, so I won't bother them for a package.

Comment

yes it would be, but Koffice folks do not produce packages themselves. Kubuntu folks do that, but as Lucid's release is pretty close now, the work load is necessarily focused on that at the moment. I am sure that we will get packages at some point, but cannot estimate when.

Actually, there are plans to explore the eventual possibility of replacing Openoffice with Koffice post 2.2, but the Koffice folks are still advising against that at this time.

Comment

I also posted that idea on Launchpad about ten minutes ago: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/551968

Comment

http://identi.ca/notice/26656409 so it should be sooner rather than later

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                            http://identi.ca/notice/26656409 so it should be sooner rather than later
                            Yes! Now that's good news!

Comment

I realize that the KOffice developers have *other* things to do, but whether they have *better* things to do is what I question. There's a huge beta-testing base in the Kubuntu/Ubuntu community, but only if those testers can get a hold of the required packages. I always test out software and report bugs when I can, I'm just not confident in building from source a huge office suite.

Comment

Working...
                              X