This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Setting Time problems, again? (Solved)

When I go to set my clock it says this in the upper right corner under Date & Time Settings... You are not allowed to save the configuration. I go to change it and it will let me but won't let me save it. What is up with kubuntu and these clock settings Why do I need permission to change the clock It's just ridiculous. It used to ask for my password when I clicked apply, well now it doesn't. Anyone know another way to do this? Thanks.
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: Setting Time problems, again?

Try 'sudo systemsettings', go to Date & Time change what you want and everything is going to be fine.

Comment

NO! NEVER use sudo to launch a GUI application. The proper use is kdesudo application to launch a GUI from the command line (CLI) / console or from Kicker (Alt+F2).
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is it possible that you have installed ntp? If so, it won't allow you to do that... So if you find it, you'll need to update it like this...

sudo ntpd -q

...in Konsole or xterm.
        Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
        Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
        Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
        Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Thanks everyone. kdesudo systemsettings does work. How come you need root privileges to change your clock? I can see it for important system settings that could mess up your system but not the clock.
          Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg780
            Thanks everyone. kdesudo systemsettings does work. How come you need root privileges to change your clock? I can see it for important system settings that could mess up your system but not the clock.
            System clock is a system wide setting, and it is important for security that regular users can't mess with system wide settings.

Messing with the clock can wreak havoc on logs and timestamps and will likely disturb backups and scheduled (via cron) maintenance tasks, for example. Changing system clock is an admin task.

Comment

I guess that makes sense. I'll mark this solved. Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X