This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

writing to Windows partition - SOLVED

Does anyone know if I can use Dolphin to copy files to my user folder on Windows without hosing up the Windows partition? Until such time as I can do further troubleshooting, Windows does a better job of showing video on my HDTV, and I'd love it if I could just copy some of my video straight over to the Windows partition.

Thanks for any guidance. I <could> just do the experiment, but since I didn't get a Windows disk with my laptop, I'd rather not.

Re: writing to Windows partition

Two answers here:

Yes - install ntfs-3g support and you're good to go.

I am assuming you're using a dual-booting laptop? You could keep all the videos in your windoze partition and still play them from linux easy enough.

Please Read Me

Comment

I forgot to mention that my Windows is Windows 7, with whatever filesystem Windows 7 comes with. My linux is Kubuntu 9.10, with whatever our default file system is.

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr, I'll give that a try.

The direction is from linux to windows because my favorite software for dealing with video (and most everything else) is running in my linux installation. This business of needing windows to show video on my TV is only temporary until I figure out why I'm not getting sound over to the TV via an HDMI cable.

Thanks again.

Comment

The default drive format for karmic is EXT4. Windows is NTFS.

Windows (any version) can read/write FAT, VFAT (aka FAT32), NTFS and one other reserved only for servers - the acronym escapes me at the moment.

Linux on the other hand has dozens of different formats available - each having it's own pluses and minuses.

Anyway - start a new thread on your other issue(s) and lets get you off the windoze train!!!

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: writing to Windows partition - SOLVED

Well, I'm pleased. Following sunluvr's advice I tried to install ntfs-3g, only to find that it was installed already. So I drug some video over to the Windows partition, rebooted into Windows, and everything worked fine. Gates and company were none the wiser as to where the video files had come from. "These aren't the droids you're looking for."

Thanks again oshunluvr. Onward and upwards.

Comment

Working...
            X