This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot log into my main account in KK with KDE 4.4.1

Well, I was trying to change my screen resolution and refresh rate at login or pre-KDE-startup but also updated other things with sudo apt-get upgrade and after a reboot or two everything seemed to be working fine. I don't know if I messed up with something important during the file edits or the packages upgrade (which included a Linux kernel version 2.6.31-20.58 I think) and now I cannot log into KK... It just brings me back to the login screen without letting me see a little bit of my desktop.

The weird thing is that the tty does allow me to login as usual... So it gotta be a problem with the display or KDE. How can I fix this?

Oh, I forgot to mention that dpkg didn't find any broken packages... and there's nothing else to update...

BTW, how can I create a new user account by using the cli?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Cannot log into my main account in KK with KDE 4.4.1

It's the classic problem of two files in your home account being set to root ownership when they shouldn't.

From the GIMP menu chose the recovery option and then choose a root shell. CD to your home account and list the files.
    Two files, both hidden:

.ICEauthority
    .Xauthority

are probably owned by root. Change their ownership to you:

chown youracctname:youracctname .ICEauthority
    chown youracctname:youracctname .Xauthority

Then reboot
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

No luck... they were already owned by me...
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Too bad, that would have been an easy fix. Another thing to try is to rename ~/.kde to ~/.kde_bkup and then run "startx" to see if a KDE4 desktop starts up ... or reboot.

To add users in the CLI:

"sudo adduser username"

See "man adduser"

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I did rename the folder (and lost some of my previous kde setup as expected) but now I can log into my account. I also took a look at some website with the adduser deluser info... but it was easier to create a new account with some help of the GUI... especially one that wouldn't be a normal account...
          Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly

Comment

Working...
          X