This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Kwin sessions clogging up CPU

Recently, I'd say within the past week or so, I have been randomly crashing while browsing in Chrome. The screen goes black and a few moments later(5 seconds) I am presented with the KDE log in screen. I can log back in fine, but when I view system activity, I have multiple Kwin sessions open. After a few of these crashes I end up with 4 or 5 Kwin sessions. I can't kill any of these old sessions from system activity monitor, and they just hog the CPU and my whole system grinds to a crawl. If I reboot all is well until the next few crashes. Any idea what's going on? How can I kill the old sessions without rebooting? i am still new to KDE and Kubuntu, so I don't really know where to look for a solution or how to diagnose it. Please help. Thanks.

Re: Multiple Kwin sessions clogging up CPU

No one? Any one have an idea what's causing this?

Comment

No idea how to fix it but would think about checking all the packages are up-to-date. beyond that I would probably use a different browser until there are updates which do fix it.
      How often can you get this quality for free.

Comment

On a clean boot, when you are at your desktop, open a console and launch Chrome from there. If you don't know what the command is for launching Chrome, open the K Menu editor: Right-click on K > Menu Editor and navigate to the Chrome entry and look at the Command entry.

When Chrome crashes, look at the last lines of the output in the console. This may provide a clue as to what is causing the crashes.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X