This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Composing not active (Solved)

After updates today composing is not active. When I click to activate it the notifications says that composing was turned off by another application. I can not figure out what application it is that turned it off. It was working before the updated. Anybody have any ideas please?
    Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Re: Composing not active

This is not a new problem though I thought it only related to ATI graphics adapters unless someone says otherwise.

On my system this was an occasional problem but since I upgraded to 4.4 compositing is always suspended on start-up, it can be re-started from System Settings or Shift-Alt-F12 (but it may take more than one attempt to re-start it).

It's not a critical fault so I guess it will eventually be sorted out.
    Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Thanks quarkslot. From your answer regarding ATI graphics I decided to reinstall my nvidia driver and now composing is active. I noticed that during the install the installer said something about a driver was installed that was not installed by this installer and it would try to uninstall it, so I guess a driver was installed with the upgrade that was conflicting with my installed nvidia driver. So I guess it appears not to just be an ATI problem anymore. I wonder if anyone else with nvidia cards will have this problem. hmmmm
      Oneiric 11.10 KDE Version 4.7.4<br />Duo core 1.8 Intel<br />4 gig ram<br />Nvidia Go 7300 Graphics<br />Dell E1505 Laptop<br /><br />I&#39;m a happy pappy with Linux on my lappy!!!

Comment

For ATI users out there, a workaround for this has been posted on bugs.kde.org:

WORKAROUND:
        -----------
        1) Open terminal and type: nano ~/.kde4/share/config/kwinrc
        2) In "[Compositing]" section:
        3) Enable the DisableChecks option: "DisableChecks=true" (without quotes)

To test log out and log in again.

Works for me. Note on my system kwinrc is located in ~/.kde/share/config/
        Kubuntu 20.04(AMD64)/KDE 5

Comment

Working...
        X