This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA X Server Settings won't save settings, resolution is reset at reboot

I just installed Kubuntu 9.10 to my machine, which uses a Geforce 2 MX PCI video card.

After I installed the official NVIDIA drivers I have a problem.

Whenever I reboot, my resolution is reset to something ridiculous like 480x300, and I have to change it every time.

I tried the "Save to X Configuration File" but I just get this error:

Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'!

Why does this not work

Re: NVIDIA X Server Settings won't save settings, resolution is reset at reboot

nvidia-settings runs user -which means it can't write into the /etc/X11 directory. You can either run it from the command line as root [ sudo nvidia-settings ] or save the file to your home and then copy it as root to the /etc/X11 directory

Please Read Me

Comment

I just tried that but no good, just the same error message.

However, I got some extra output at the terminal:

VALIDATION ERROR: Data incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
      Undefined Device "(null)" referenced by Screen "Default Screen".

Segmentation fault

Comment

nvidia-settings can be buggy. Have you tried the second option? save the xorg.conf to your home and then copy it over to /etc/X11.

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry I don't really understand what you're asking. Are you saying I should use the NVIDIA settings to save the file somewhere else?

Comment

Exactly - when it asks you where to save type ~/xorg.conf

then go to a console and type

sudo mv /home/USERNAME/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

But that's the thing, it doesn't ask where I want to save it...

It just gives the Failed to parse existing X config file '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'! message and crashes.

Comment

Open a console and type:
                Code:
                ls -l /etc/X11
                and see if you even have an xorg.conf file. Likely you don't, as Karmic 9.10 doesn't use it.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll check later but if Karmic doesn't use it then what does it use?

And how can I change the resolution properly?

The only thing which lets me change the resolution to what I want (1152x864) is the NVIDIA program.

The standard one that comes with KDE only lets me go to 640x480.

Comment

Well, if nothing else worked for you, then take a look at this topic I recently posted... HERE
                    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
                    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
                    Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

run nividia-settings as regular user to save it to your home

Please Read Me

Comment

you could always do ti the old-fashioned way - build a xorg.conf file by hand

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                          run nividia-settings as regular user to save it to your home
                          How? All I get is a button called "Save to X Configuration File" which when I press it, causes the program to crash with the error I posted before. (see attached image)

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                          you could always do ti the old-fashioned way - build a xorg.conf file by hand
                          I suppose I could but I don't know how to do that properly either
                          Attached Files

Comment

Weird - mine looks like this
                            Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

How about the "Show Preview" button, you have that? You could cut and paste from there...

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X