This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change Grub & Move Install To Different Partition [SOLVED]

I have a dual Karmic boot. The first partition has Kubuntu x64 Karmic and the 2nd partition has Xubuntu x64 Karmic.

My question is in 2 parts.

(1) I want to remove the Kubuntu partition and need to know how can I get the Xubuntu grub to load as right now it is the Kubuntu grub loader that starts up and chain loads the Xubuntu.

(2) How can I move the entire Xubuntu install from /dev/sda2 to /dev/sda1 where Kubuntu is currently installed? Both partitions are of the same size and EXT4.
    The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Re: Change Grub &amp; Move Install To Different Partition

Depending on the task at hand, what is your experience level?

I would do (2) first. You could boot using partimage and use the gparted to move the partitions sda2 to sda1 as long as your going from a smaller partitions to a larger. There are other means to accomplish this. 'dd' for one.

Once its move you need to know your UUID's. They will be the same if using gparted. that needs addressing. One way 'sudo tune2fs -U random /dev/sdaX' for changing the desired partition.

Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
      Depending on the task at hand, what is your experience level?
      Pretty good; 30 yrs of Snr. Level IT and 3 yrs of Linux.
      The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason .....Benjamin Franklin<br />Kubuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Xbuntu 9.10 x64&nbsp; Win7 x64 Ultimate<br />Linux User: 416878&nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu User: 22154

Comment

Once you get the partitions squared away , you can chroot into xubuntu and update grub. as follows:

Code:
        # copy 7 commands below then paste:
        sudo mount /dev/sdaX /mnt/
        sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
        sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
        sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys
        sudo mount --bind /dev/pts /mnt/dev/pts
        sudo mount -o bind /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
        sudo chroot /mnt/ /bin/bash
        =============
        Remove CHROOT
        =============
        # Ctrl+d to exit chroot,
        # copy 6 commands below then paste.
        sudo umount /mnt/etc/resolv.conf
        sudo umount /mnt/dev/pts
        sudo umount /mnt/sys
        sudo umount /mnt/proc
        sudo umount /mnt/dev
        sudo umount /mnt
        Then depending on what grub your dealing with do an 'grub-install /dev/sda'
        then update-grub to capture your OS's.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Thanks.

Meanwhile I made a deb file of all installed SW, re-installed Xubuntu in /dev/sda1 and then loaded the SW via the deb file.

Comment

Working...
          X