X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to only show open programs in their respective desktop

Hey,

Bit of a beginner in the KDE and Linux world so apologies if I'm asking a question that has an obvious answer

In Gnome when you switch desktops, it will only show you the programs that are open for that desktop, whereas in KDE 4.4.1 (KUbuntu 9.10) all programs open are shown no matter what desktop your in.

Is the functionality in Gnome also available in KDE 4.4?

Re: How to only show open programs in their respective desktop

First off welcome to the party

If you right click on the taskbar* and choose configure taskbar* you can set it up any way you want.

*Mine is in german but you should get the mesage

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

-Click on the "Cashew nut" in the upper right corner of your desktop.
      -Click on "Zoom Out"
      -on the left side there should be a new box. Click on "Configure Plasma"
      -Click on "Different Activity for each desktop"
      -To get back to showing large desktops, click on the magnifying glass with "+", which should be under each desktop displayed.

Comment

Originally posted by spottedhog
        -Click on the "Cashew nut" in the upper right corner of your desktop.
        -Click on "Zoom Out"
        -on the left side there should be a new box. Click on "Configure Plasma"
        -Click on "Different Activity for each desktop"
        -To get back to showing large desktops, click on the magnifying glass with "+", which should be under each desktop displayed.
        That's likely not the solution to the OP's question...if I understood correctly, mascot is asking how to configure the task manager to only show windows on the current desktop (see Fintan's response)

Comment

Thanks for the reply everyone. But I don't think I explained myself properly

Fintan I'm not sure what I should be looking for in the Task Manager settings, it's not the task manager I want to change.

I've added a screenshot of the panel for desktop 1. It show's Firefox and Chrome open. What I'm looking for is when I change to desktop 2, those programs won't be displayed.

So I were to right click on Chrome and select "To Desktop -> Desktop 2", Chrome should then only show up when I'm viewing Desktop 2, or if I had selected To "Desktop -> All Desktops" instead.

Hopefully this is clearer, I'm not the best at explaining myself
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rebels_mascot
            it's not the task manager I want to change.
            Yes it is...the widget that shows open windows is the "Task Manager"...it's settings should have an option "Only show windows from current desktop"...among other things

Comment

Ah! Sorry I was thinking of the System Tray when Fintan said Task Manager.

Got it working now, thanks a million!

Comment

Glad you got it working and thank you kubicle for explaining a bit further.

Of course activities is great as well for setting a different desktop look for each desktop but that is another subject and discussed here (in this forum) in depth.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                X