This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade to 4.4. killed desktop - sort of

Running 2.6.31-20 (64-bit) and decided to try out 4.4.1.
    Used kpackagekit to download all the new apps and install.
    Rebooted to a black screen with no cashews and only my superkaramba app
    visible. Was able to activate Dolphin through the app and get Opera up to search the forums.

Figured the desktop was working but not the plasma. Tried running plasma-desktop and
    got a response that plasma wasn't installed.
    Ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade - No changes were made
    Ran sudo dpkg --configure -a with no errors, just returned me to my prompt
    So I tried sudo apt-get install plasma-desktop. Some files were downloaded and installed.
    Rebooted and now my desktop is back.

HOWEVER...
    I noticed the same strange thing with my HP Touchsmart as I witnessed with my Dell Latitude
    ATG 620. I have two menu bars. My "original" and a new smaller "default" one from the upgrade.
    I just deleted the "new" one and everything appears to be running normally.

This is just an FYI for folks...

Re: Upgrade to 4.4. killed desktop - sort of

quick fix to this that I found online from someone and I would like to quote him but I don't remember where i found solution.
    1) Restart computer and at log-in window press Ctrl+Alt F1
    2) Log in and write "sudo mv /home/USER/.kde /home/USER/kdeBackUp"
    3) Afterwards Ctrl + Alt + F7 and Log in. This should bring up your desktop back to the original installation phase.
    instead of USER put ur username.

Comment

Thank you! Your post plus that of Eusebiu and internet access via my XP machine saved my Kubuntu 9.10 machine from total blackness.
      I dumped windows on that machine about 5 years ago. Never had any problems at all so I never learned anything. After a routine update I got the black screen and plasma crash error 11. Thanks to my XP machine and your post I am back running. I went to Linux for solid OS reliability. This episode has me rethinking accepting any updates to something that runs well for my needs of email and websurfing.

Thanks again!

Comment

Do yourself a favor and stop using kpackagekit for package management. Install and use Synaptic. It is a far superior package manager and does not suffer from the problems kpackagekit has (yes, it has problems). Additionally, you could use the CLI (console) and use apt-get to manage packages (see man apt-get).
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X