This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED!] How to edit /etc/fstab?

I'm using Kubuntu as VB guest on a Mac host & trying to setup a folder share between them. I've created the shared folder in Kubuntu & have the Mac folder setup in VB for share. Now I need to edit fstab to mount & finish.
    In Ubuntu you'd type gksu gedit /etc/fstab then fstab would open. This isn't working in Kubuntu as it errors & suggests to install gedit. When I tried that the terminal just hangs without downloading & installing anything.
    I know Gnome & KDE use different commands so maybe that's the problem. In Ubuntu, you can open a Command Line by pressing alt + F2 but that isn't working in Kubuntu. Is there another way to open Command Line or a different terminal command other than gksu gedit /etc/fstab?

Re: How to edit /etc/fstab?

Did you try this yet?
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /etc/fstab

Comment

I knew something would be different! That worked & fstab is edited. I added this line;
      VB_Mac_Share /home/george/Shared-Mac vboxsf rw,uid=1000 0 0
      This worked with VB Ubuntu guest & Mac host. VB_Mac_Share is the shared folder in Mac & /home/george/Shared-Mac is the location of Kubuntu's shared folder. vboxsf rw,uid=1000 0 0 is VirtualBox Shared Folder & uid=1000 changes me as owner of the mount point. Kubuntu list uid=1000 the same as Ubuntu but something else might be different.
      Anyway, I tried to mount with kdesudo mount -a but got an error. Then I tried sudo mount -a & got;
      george@kubuntu-george:~$ sudo mount -a
      [mntent]: warning: no final newline at the end of /etc/fstab

Any idea what no final newline at the end means?

Comment

Edit the file again and hit enter at end of the file

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
          Edit the file again and hit enter at end of the file
          skunk,
          Disregard my previous post! After rebooting everything is working fine. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED!] How to edit /etc/fstab?

No problems

You use kdesudo to start GUI programs with root credentials
            You use sudo to start command line programs with root credentials.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to never use sudo to start GUI programs since it can change the ownership of two hidden files ~/.Xauthority and ~/.ICEauthority which will prevent you from logging into your user session.

Comment

I appreciate that info. What I'd like to do is learn more of how to do things in Ubuntu & Kubuntu without destroying them. I was wondering if there is a website that has a guide to these things. Things like you're saying - dos & don'ts. When to use sudo, su or kdesudo. I've never seen anything like that here at this site.

The reason I ask is I found a website that had drivers for my printer so I converted these to debs files. But, the files were 5-7 years old & with the way Linux OS changes every few months, it also need several pointers re-directed obsolete files. To make a long story shorter, I was able to get the printer to print properly (on a 64bit no less) but, the other support files like ink levels & accurate paper centering, etc; I couldn't get them to work at all but would like to figure it out.

Thanks again

Comment

A good place to start is Documentation for Ubuntu 9.10 Don't worry that it's "Ubuntu" and not "Kubuntu" - the basics apply to both.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by DERG

What I'd like to do is learn more of how to do things in Ubuntu & Kubuntu without destroying them.
                  That is an admirable goal! All of the information about GNU/Linux is pretty well scattered across the Internet. I attempted to pull together the most important stuff for "new adopters" in a "Top 20 FAQs" for reference -- the link is in my signature. If you read down far enough, you'll get to "sudo", "kdesudo", "where's root?" and all of that.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                    Originally posted by DERG

What I'd like to do is learn more of how to do things in Ubuntu & Kubuntu without destroying them.
                    That is an admirable goal! All of the information about GNU/Linux is pretty well scattered across the Internet. I attempted to pull together the most important stuff for "new adopters" in a "Top 20 FAQs" for reference -- the link is in my signature. If you read down far enough, you'll get to "sudo", "kdesudo", "where's root?" and all of that.
                    All of the information about GNU/Linux is pretty well scattered across the Internet. Amen to that! That's the reason for asking. There's so much mis-information out there one can really get blown away.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X