X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my sql fresh install cannot be found

Hi,

I've tried to install via ksoftware manager mysql 5.1 with mysql query browser but I can't seem to find it. I've looked under each menù but it doesn't appear.

I've installed both client and server but it is seems that it isn't there.

Have I done something wrong or forgot something?

Thanks
    crl6904

Re: my sql fresh install cannot be found

There are two ways:
    1) Install "kappfinder" which appears in the menu as "Menu Updating Tool". Scan your system using it and check the mysql apps it finds if you want to install them in the menu. If it doesn't find any mysql apps then....

2) Use

locate mysql

to find the locations of them. (If you don't have locate on your box install it using Synaptic then open a konsole and issue "sudo updatedb". That may take a couple minutes the first time but there after it is run by a cron script and rarely needs to be run unless you've made recent massive changes and want to do some searching.)

Look for the listings which end with "..bin/*mysql*.

Then left click on the KGear and chose "Menu Edit". Add the ones you want to add where you want to add them. Click the "Save" icon.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thanks
      I'll try it tonight and let you know.

Comment

found it via method number 2.

the strange part (at least to me it is) is that it does not automatically appear in the menù like other programs.

now all I have to do is figure out activate and open mysql with a click...

thanks

Comment

You will find information about how to install and setup MySQL in Kubuntu Karmic here.

I'm not familiar with "ksoftware manager". Also, I noticed that you did not say where you got the deb packages from. I suspect that your lack of menu entries is due to using that manager and alien packages.

My advice is to use Synaptic to remove your current MySQL installation COMPLETELY, and then install the version that is in the repository.

Beyond this I can't help you much. My db of choice is PostgreSQL and PgAdmin3 as the manager.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X