This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin and Dbus/policykit problems

Starting dolphin does not work: Dolphin icons appear in the taskbar, but window fails to appear:
    Code:
    biv@laptop:~$ dolphin
    <unknown program name>(8631)/: Communication problem with "dolphin" , it probably crashed.
    Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "
    When opening a specific folder, dolphin window appears but freezes over imediately with a similar error:
    Code:
    biv@laptop:~$ dolphin ~/Documents/
    <unknown program name>(9359)/: Communication problem with "dolphin" , it probably crashed.
    Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken." "
    Plugining in a USB storage device, mounting it via device mounter plasmoid did work at least once, but as before, window freezes completely after changing folders.

Also I've been trying to follow the solution at http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108033.0, but with no success. This means that I tried to:
    remove and reinstall dolphin
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge dolphin 
    $ sudo aptitude install kde-full kde-minimal kdebase kubuntu-desktop svn kdewebdev
    move configuration files
    Code:
    mv ~/.kde/share/apps/dolphin ~/.kde/share/apps/olddolphin
    mv ~/.kde/share/config/dolphinrc ~/.kde/share/config/olddolphinrc
    mv ~/.dbus/ ~/.olddbus
    mv ~/.kde/share/config ~/.kde/share/oldconfig
    Remains to be tested what happens when I login as another user.

Results: 1) Now Dolphin and Konqueror are still dead in the water, but at least Krusader is working (ie has yet to freeze over )

2) Now it works to start qdbus and it gives me a long list of KDE services. Previously qdbus was crashing with some wierd error "No protocol specified" and something about not beeing able to use the X11 protocol.

Update: I managed to change several folders (about 5 or 6) in Dolphin before it froze... so it seems to be a time related problem rather than the "when I do this/that action it freezes over" kind of problem.

Working...
X