This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

firefox on kubuntu and fire associations broken

I've used ubuntu and kubuntu for a while, and when using firefox on both distros, if on ubuntu i download a tar.gz, zip, doc, xls, etc, firefox on ubuntu will pick the correct program to open the file, the gnome archiver, open office, etc. If I do the same download on kubuntu for example for tar.gz I get open with /usr/bin/tar and almost everything else it doesn' t know about any kde programs.

I've run the opensuse livecd and it's firefox could handle for example tar.gz files with ark, how can i get kde apps associated with firefox on kubuntu? is there a config package i am missing or what?

Re: firefox on kubuntu and fire associations broken

Two answers for you:

1. KDE has a marvelous browser named Konqueror -- you might want to give it a look.

2. For Firefox and its mozilla-based friends, Edit > Preferences > Applications appears to offer you the ability to specify which application opens each content item. I have not worked with it, but I think that's where you start.

Comment

Originally posted by jetdrone
      I've used ubuntu and kubuntu for a while, and when using firefox on both distros, if on ubuntu i download a tar.gz, zip, doc, xls, etc, firefox on ubuntu will pick the correct program to open the file, the gnome archiver, open office, etc. If I do the same download on kubuntu for example for tar.gz I get open with /usr/bin/tar and almost everything else it doesn' t know about any kde programs.

I've run the opensuse livecd and it's firefox could handle for example tar.gz files with ark, how can i get kde apps associated with firefox on kubuntu? is there a config package i am missing or what?
      1 .As dibl mentioned, you could use Konqueror (in many ways, imho it's lot better than firefox because it has KWallet and a whole KDE desktop integration).
      2. Or if you prefer, you can install the Firefox KDE version (which is, afaik, the OpenSUSE one) from the below debian/ubuntu ppa (its just the address, you'll find the ppa/key installation instructions there:

https://launchpad.net/~debfx/+archive/firefox-kde

After adding this ppa and its key (use KPackageKit) refresh the repository list, and do an apt-get or, if you prefer graphical way, use KPackageKit to install KDE integrated firefox. This should do the trick.

p.s. If you want your Firefox to look native, go and find Firefox Oxgen theme.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        1. KDE has a marvelous browser named Konqueror -- you might want to give it a look.
        I'm sorry to say this but on kubuntu 9.10 Kde 4.3 Konqueror is pretty much useless, have you tried to use it on maps.google.com? mail.google.com and many other sites? I don't think so, it's javascript is incredibly slow and most pages don't render as expected...

And i know about arora, it works, but... I want firefox, it is my choice, isn't it what linux is all about, freedom of choice?

About Edit > Preferences > Applications I was expecting something smarter than having me to fill all the possibilities since that already happens on windows, mac, and gnome desktops

About themes I've installed a custom gkt2 theme that really makes all my gtk apps look like my oxygen kde apps. http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...content=103741

Anyway I will give a try to the ppa and see if it gets the application association working as i would like, thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by oblivion
          2. Or if you prefer, you can install the Firefox KDE version (which is, afaik, the OpenSUSE one) from the below debian/ubuntu ppa (its just the address, you'll find the ppa/key installation instructions there:

https://launchpad.net/~debfx/+archive/firefox-kde
          This works!!! for example if i click on a zip, tar, gz, bz2 it knows about ark!!!

Will this also be present on 10.4? That would be great!!!

Comment

Working...
          X