This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upgrade to KDE 4.4 SC

Since I'm a glutton for punishment I decided to upgrade to KDE 4.4 on both the 64-bit and 32-bit Karmic machines. Neither upgrade was without pain.

Here's the announcement -

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-4.4

Anyway, I added the launchpad repo and upgraded the netbook first. Was greeted with a black screen and a crash handler message that plasma was busted.

Okay, I drop back to a terminal and still see a whole bunch of blocked updates so I switch to lxde (which might be my new favorite lightweight window manager) and run the updates again and this time they all take.

Still get a black screen. I hit Alt-F2 and run synaptic on top of the black screen and notice not all plasma components (wish I could remember which ones) got updated, so I filtered synaptic on "plasma" and started looking at version numbers and found that at least one of the core plasma packages wasn't marked for installation. Installed it and everything worked fine after that.

Had the same issue on the 64-bit desktop PC as well. I'd wait a little bit on the KDE 4.4 upgrade if you're not in a big hurry as it took me a *lot* longer to upgrade than it should have.

I'm really beginning to enjoy lxde, though
    we see things not as they are, but as we are.
    -- anais nin

Re: upgrade to KDE 4.4 SC

The best way that I found to upgrade to KDE 4.4 SC in 9.10 is after adding the launchpad repo. is to go terminal and do then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. that will allow the block update to be installed. then reboot the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by rstewart456
      The best way that I found to upgrade to KDE 4.4 SC in 9.10 is after adding the launchpad repo. is to go terminal and do then sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. that will allow the block update to be installed. then reboot the computer.
      Good plan. Too late for me but others will find it useful
      -- anais nin

Comment

Originally posted by rstewart456
        This worked for me! Thanks, rstewart. I'd had the same problems as above before and was going to wait but this did the trick without any problems.

Comment

I took the plunge. my desktop came up but no network manager I had to move my .kde folder, and get a fresh desktop. and nm was there

Ted

Comment

I did the upgrade with kpackagekit, without the blocked files. I get the black screen. I tried alt-f2 and typed 'synaptic' <enter> and nothing seems to happen.

So then I did alt-f2 again. This time I type konsole, and am doing the 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' from there. We'll see in a few minutes how well this does on my put-together-at-home pc does.
            ASUS mb with AMD proc.

I do get a desktop this time, but I still get the kde-sudo box on startup, and the network manager is disabled. I will search on how to enable it. What is the next step as far as the kde-sudo box at each startup?

Comment

The kdesudo box you see is most likely that plasma network applet that I pitched about ten seconds before I installed wicd.

You can get rid of the box by disabling KDE wallet if you want - or by installing wicd.
              -- anais nin

Comment

Thanks Wizard. I will install wicd.

Comment

Working...
                X