This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant edit software sources in kpackagekit

i cant edit my repositories because when i try to "edit software sources" in kpackagekit it will prompt me for my password
    and then just wont do anything,
    if anyone knows how to fix this bug any help would be appreciated, ive been searching online for help on this but to no avail

anyone else experiencing this?

Re: cant edit software sources in kpackagekit

This issue with kdesudo not working correctly after one of the last major updates is already known and reported. It hasn't been fixed yet. This means, that attempting to launch GUI apps that require root privleges doesn't work. But, you can still use a command line editor - vi is what I use - to edit a root owned file. From the console you can type:
    Code:
    sudo vi path/filename
    where path is the path to the file to be edited and filename is the file itself. If you are more familiar with another CLI editor, you can launch it the same way.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok thanks dude

Comment

im new to linux, was curious if you could possibly walk me thru how to add sources using the commandline editor, i want to upgrade to kde4.4,
        also could you point me to the right direction where i would ask a question about kwin? it seems whenever i have desktop effects enabled my computer can rarely boot up properly
        the effects arent a big deal, but is this a notifier of an even bigger problem?

Comment

@mastodon88, you might find nano a little easier for your first command line editor (no offense to the vi gurus). In a Konsole window:
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install nano
          Now you can issue the command
          Code:
          sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/newrepo.list
          and add a new source repo. For example:

Code:
          sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/kubuntu-ppa-beta-karmic.list
          is one that I added at some point many months ago. That file contains the single line:

The nano editing commands are shown at the bottom of the screen -- you use the Ctrl key plus a letter to "save out" or "exit" or whatever. It's fairly intuitive, for an old-fashioned text editor.

Comment

Working...
          X