Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help to make a pure Kubuntu environment.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to make a pure Kubuntu environment.

Downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.1 first.

Then, installed Kubuntu and I choose at login which I run.

I have settled on Kubuntu and KDE as the environment for me.

Which command would I run to completely delete all Gnome and Ubuntu related programs/desktop managers/splash pages and all that is Ubuntu/Gnome? I would love to just have a Pure Kubuntu installation?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.

Re: Need help to make a pure Kubuntu environment.

Originally posted by newbie1
    Downloaded and installed Ubuntu 9.1 first.

Then, installed Kubuntu and I choose at login which I run.

I have settled on Kubuntu and KDE as the environment for me.

Which command would I run to completely delete all Gnome and Ubuntu related programs/desktop managers/splash pages and all that is Ubuntu/Gnome? I would love to just have a Pure Kubuntu installation?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge.
    Kubuntu is Ubuntu with a KDE desktop. The closest you will come is to backup your home files and install Kubuntu from a fresh install.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

While KDE4 is a very powerful desktop, and everyone on this forum knows I am its biggest fan, there are excellent apps written using the GTK+ widget set which you should be willing to use. They include FireFox (Konqueror is good), Thunderbird (KMail is good), VLC (no KDE native app comes close) and GIMP. Then, considering other tools, there is Blender, InkScape, SAGE, Maxima and several more. While Konqueror and KMail are good reasons to drop FireFox and Thunderbird (with some exceptions) the KDE apps which can replace, IMO, VLC or GIMP, for example, do not exist yet.

Of more concern, IMO, is that you don't contaminate your KDE installation with any apps that require MONO. As long as you can run

sudo apt-get purge libmono* libgdiplus cli-common libsqlite0 libglitz-glx1 libglitz1

and remove all traces of MONO from your Kubuntu installation you will be Microsoft free. (Don't confuse MONO libraries with mono typefaces). To keep MONO from sneaking into your installation you can use Tim's method, described here.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Frankly, I see absolutely no need to purge anything.

I believe that one should use software that works the way you want it to, regardless of origin. The only reason for running either a pure KDE, pure Gnome, or pure XFCE desktop (to name just a few choices) without any vestige of any other is to reduce the amount of disk space required for libraries, if you are running on a machine that is short on disk space.

At the moment, I don't have any particular reason to purge mono apps either (although I don't think I use any). No one is restricting my freedom to use them or charging me for using them. I believe that the source code is available, if I need it. If they were charging me (or restricting my use in any other way), I would have to consider costs vs. benefits, but that is not the case. To my mind, the drive for evangelical, ideological purity is the first step toward thought control. And THAT is what I abhor.

That said, if you really want to restrict yourself to a PURE Kubuntu desktop, follow bobcollard's advice.

Comment

"Getting Back to a Pure KDE on Ubuntu" - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

I had forgotten about that topic on Aysiu's site. However, if you follow that recipe you will wind up with a KDE machine and not a Kubuntu machine. I'd still follow bobcollard's technique, if I wanted a "pure" Kubuntu desktop.

Comment

Working...
            X