X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

backing out of a dual boot... [SOLVED]

Hi,

Currently I'm running Kubuntu 9.10, have been since it came out.

Then I wanted to get UbuntuStudio, as I do a lot of music editing, etc - so I installed that, and somehow my computer became a dual boot between Kubuntu and UbuntuStudo....

As it turns out, I like Kubuntu, but I really just like the Gnome interface more with Ubuntu Studio - so my question now (as quirky as it seems) is:

How can I get rid of Kubuntu, but keep Ubuntu Studio on my computer?

I'm using a Toshiba Satellite A40 Laptop, new 60gb hard drive, and 1Gb Ram

Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks!

Re: backing out of a dual boot...

Yep, that's pretty quirky all right ....

So, here's your insight -- delete Kubuntu from the Grub 2 menu, and you'll never see it again. Your research into how that could be accomplished should start here:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

Good luck with it!

Comment

This old pentium4, 1G RAM computer I use is set up to multi-boot Ubuntu Studio and Kubuntu (both Karmic).
      I found that the RT kernel will work just fine with Kubuntu, along with the music production and video production software that I used with U-studio.

For what-ever reason (genetic defect maybe? ) I find that I prefer KDE. To my joy Kubuntu Karmic is just as fast and responsive as U-Studio Karmic for the stuff I do. They will both swamp the P4 at about the same time. So I can only run Rosegarden with about 6 tracks and 2 soft synths at a time.
      My conclusion then is that it's a matter of preference.

If you prefer gnome and your HD has the space I would agree with dibl. Just configure grub to boot to U-studio by default. If you later need the space the Kubuntu partition could be used as data.

Ken.
      Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
        Yep, that's pretty quirky all right ....

So, here's your insight -- delete Kubuntu from the Grub 2 menu, and you'll never see it again. Your research into how that could be accomplished should start here:

Good luck with it!
        That will remove Kubuntu but it won't free up the partition or give it to the ubuntu side. He'd end up with an unused partition unless he decided to format it as a file system and mount it using /etc/fstab in his ubuntu partition.

This brings up an interesting observation about grub that I discovered. On this notebook I initially had VISTA. I split off 40GB and installed Kubuntu Jaunty. The grub in that Jaunty partition controlled the boot for VISTA and Jaunty. Later I deleted VISTA and installed Karmic in its place. The grub settings in Karmic were, and are, ignored. If I want to change how the system boots I MUST edit grub using the Jaunty installation.

It doesn't matter,though. When Lucid Lynx goes Gold I will be merging both partitions into a single partition and putting Lynx on it.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Steps, outline

>>> Download and burn a GParted Live CD.

GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
          http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
          New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
          http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php

>>> Go into your Ubuntu and re-install GRUB 2 from there to the MBR of your first BIOS boot hard drive.

Use the GRUB 2 how-to, run the command sudo grub-install /dev/sdx, where sdx = your first BIOS boot drive.
          GRUB 2 A Guide for Users

This step is a safety measure to ensure that your PC will boot from GRUB 2 using the GRUB 2 files from Ubuntu (and not your Kubuntu GRUB 2 files). If you were to mess this up, you can always fix it by re-installing GRUB 2 at any time from a Live Ubuntu/Kubuntu CD (see Section 3 of the GRUB 2 Guide, Fixing Things).

>>> Boot your PC from the GParted Live CD
          Locate your Kubuntu partition (in the GParted screens), and either delete that partition or reformat it (say to ext3).
          If you delete it, you may then use that space for something else, or expand your Ubuntu partition if you wish. Or, you can re-format it and use it for another OS or for data. Or just leave that space idle for now.

>>> Boot into your Ubuntu and regenerate your GRUB 2 boot menu by running
          sudo update-grub.
          That will exclude Kubuntu (which is not there anymore) and include only Ubuntu in your boot menu.

=> There's the outline.

More help
          Another handy GRUB 2 guide is this:
          http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
          also this:
          https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the insight! the step by step approach is ideal, thanks very much Qqmike! I'll try that out.

I appreciate everyone's responses - thanks a lot! I know that ultimately the alternative is to simply reformat and install UbuntuStudio from the cd image, but if I can back out of the current dual boot set up it would save some trouble.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by drumkitcat

ultimately the alternative is to simply reformat and install UbuntuStudio from the cd image
              Agreed -- which is why I interpreted "get rid of" as "don't want to see it any more". As GG and Qqmike have indicated, changing the boot menu does not recover the disk space that Kubuntu is presently using. But for the short term, you may not care about that as long as it boots straight to your Ubuntu Studio.

Comment

hahaha - yes you're right Dibl, that's the option I'm weighing.

I replaced the hard drive in the laptop in the summer so it's new and larger than the original but like all things - space no matter how vast does end up getting developed into something else sooner or later.

I know currently I'm using a LOT of cross-platform functionality between Kubuntu (KDE) and Ubuntu Studio Gnome elements - I know that the more elements generally means the more possibility of problems so I'm deliberating whether to just backup my current files and reformat or go through the hoops of repartitioning.

Comment

Just gotta say, WOW, GParted is an awesome program! I really like that as a partition manager- probably the best one I've ever used.

I decided to totally pooch the laptop last night and did a complete reformat going into UbuntuStudio singularly. It did take about an hour to load the operating system and base packages into place - and then I was back to operating wireless quickly and easily.

Thanks everyone for your assistance and great suggestions!

Comment

Re: backing out of a dual boot... [SOLVED]

Oh, but you didn't get to practice with our beloved GRUB 2 ...
                    (just kidding)
                    Glad you got it, a clean slate.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Re: backing out of a dual boot... [SOLVED]

Ha haha, I think I'll leave the practice for braver souls than me!

Comment

Working...
                      X