This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shutdown and reboot no longer work

After recently upgrading my computer to the 2.6.31-19 kernel, I was experiencing booting problems. After removing the kernel and reverting back to 2.6.31-17, I noticed that my shutdown and reboot options from the kde menu no longer work. Is there any way to fix this? Doing poweroff / reboot through terminal still work.

Re: Shutdown and reboot no longer work

Did you try upgrading and next dist-upgrading to 2.6.31-20 kernel? I'm running it without probs, try that and post again

By the way, you can shutdown your system via sudo halt and reboot via sudo reboot. However, I will recommend closing your session first and only then switching to any other tty [ Ctrl+Alt+F2 to F6 ]

Comment

how do i do a dist upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Homeless2
        how do i do a dist upgrade?
        Did you try this yet
        Code:
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

Yep, it updates 0 packages though

Comment

may be your PC is a bit aged and you should revert to and old kernel?

As a measure of safety ALLWAYS install /home in it's own mount point; this way should anything happens to your operating system installation you can reinstall it without losing any data.

[If you have to or more hard disks installing /tmp and the swap partition on different disks will improve system performance a lot]

Comment

Originally posted by martosurf
              may be your PC is a bit aged and you should revert to and old kernel?

As a measure of safety ALLWAYS install /home in it's own mount point; this way should anything happens to your operating system installation you can reinstall it without losing any data.

[If you have to or more hard disks installing /tmp and the swap partition on different disks will improve system performance a lot]
              My problem occurs with all kernels including 2.6.31-14

Comment

Tried updating to the newest version of KDE. Update went through like normal and then plasma crashed upon startup all the time. Went into recovery mode and ran the dpkg option. Was able to boot again, but reboot/shutdown/logoff from the kde menu still don't work and now my 2.6.31-17 kernel cannot be booted from even with a reinstall. Is there a way that I can just do a complete reinstall of kubuntu without losing any files?

Comment

Working...
                X