This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

only sound in headphone jack, not in laptop speakers

Hi, i am quite new at using linux based OS, so please be patient with me..i have used both Ubuntu and Kubuntu a fewtimes, but i am not very familiar with coding..

my problem seems quite common, but i have not found a solution from the sites ive looked at allready,
    i get sound when plugging in headphones or desktop speakers, but i cannot get sound from the laptop speakers...

my laptop is a HP compaq 6715b.

in advance thenk you!

Re: only sound in headphone jack, not in laptop speakers

Here is what I would do:

Do
    Code:
    lspci|grep Audio
    Google the output with pertinent phrases such linux or no sound or some such and take it from there.
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

is what the code gave me..

i will try and google it, thank you for the help

Comment

Hi evon, this is a constant in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, the Digital/Analog Output Jack is set to mute by default. In KMix, open the full channel display (Mezclador in spanish, don't know how it's named in english, may be Mixer?) --> Go to Preferences --> Configure channels, select Output Jack and add it to the list to right if you're using KDE SC 4.4 or just check it from the list in your KDE 4.3.5.

Back in the main mixer window unmute it, throttle all PCM and master to top and you're ready.

Comment

Originally posted by martosurf
          Hi evon, this is a constant in Ubuntu/Kubuntu, the Digital/Analog Output Jack is set to mute by default. In KMix, open the full channel display (Mezclador in spanish, don't know how it's named in english, may be Mixer?) --> Go to Preferences --> Configure channels, select Output Jack and add it to the list to right if you're using KDE SC 4.4 or just check it from the list in your KDE 4.3.5.

Back in the main mixer window unmute it, throttle all PCM and master to top and you're ready.

i cannot see a output jack..also its my laptop buildin speakers that are silent...

i am running KDE 4.3.2

i see the following channels:

master
          pcm
          mic
          mic boost
          capture
          mix
          beep
          docking station
          internal mic boost

Comment

Hi evon,

today after updating (early this morning) my speakers went mute... grrrrrr damn f****g st00pid Kubuntu GRRRRRRR - never had any of this issues in Ubuntu 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and Karmic.

Well, at least they weren't too silenced, because I could still hear system sounds.

What goes mute were everything else... "·$%·$·$&·%&·$&"$·$""$%&/()/()==()!"·@|#@#~½#~¬!!!!!!

So I started to try. I opened the VLC player, get to Preferences panel --> Audio and switched "Default" for "ALSA", then get to Multimedia in Kubuntu's System Preferences panel and start playing with the order of the devices there - I have a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS so I played only with that options.
            After a while I was able to play music again with VLC -I opted for the Digital Output- but guess what? Youtube was still mute... GRRRR.

Well, ok, the same thing. I ended opening System Preferences panel once more and play with the few options there until I hit the nail.

So, my best recomendation, if your sound card/board soundcard is recognized is you go there and try options and see what happens. Enqueue some files in Youtube, for example and start changing sound devices, at least that's how I did the trick.

Finally, when you have all your applications playing sound you might want to choose "Apply devices list to..." so you'll set the same preferences for all categories [Music, Video, Games, Communication, etc.]

Hope this works for you

Comment

Play around with the settings. If that is not for you here a nut and bolt approach that just works
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

i will try by looking at various settings, but right now i doubt i will get it working anytime soon, i am struggling with another problem called Java:P too, so seems i have allot of fun ahead of me:P

anyways, thanx for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by evon
                  i will try by looking at various settings, but right now i doubt i will get it working anytime soon, i am struggling with another problem called Java:P too, so seems i have allot of fun ahead of me:P

anyways, thanx for the help...
                  i tried the tips from this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110020.0

but no luck..

Comment

Working...
                  X