This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HowTo install Java via repos WITHOUT Firefox

Hi guys, before all I want to give my most heartly and sincere THANK YOU VERY MUCH to devs, team and all the people behind this release of Kubuntu: THANK YOU VERY MUCH YOU ALL!!
    While it's true Kubuntu traditionally have had a "half-backed" taste, this 9.10 version with KDE SC 4.4 is plain AWESOME, c00000l!!
    Don't tell me please about how well implemented is KDE4 in openSUSE, it plain SUCKS, REALLY REALLY SUCKS. And Sabayon (Gentoo) not only have serious incompatibility issues, it uses as much as 6 times or more the harddisk space only for installation (about 30gb hahahahahahaha, come on source extremists hahaha)
    One again, thanks a lot for this *quality* release =D

To the business now then:

I'm about to install Java in Karmic KDE SC 4.4 and noticed that apt-get will also pull down firefox and some other nasty packages I really don't want/use - I'm very very happy with Chrome and Konqueror, Opera and Firefox: say goodbye kids!

Is there any way to install Java without installing a lot of packages I don't want? I know I can download and install Java directly from Sun's site... oops, I mean Oracle's site but I prefer install things via repos to have a concise system.

Thanks!

Re: HowTo install Java via repos WITHOUT Firefox

Depending on how much you need
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-source
    Note that the version in the repos is 6u15

Comment

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre

Thaaaaaaannnkkkssss

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
        Depending on how much you need
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install sun-java6-plugin
        Note that this package will bring in:
        firefox firefox-3.5 firefox-3.5-branding libcanberra0 sun-java6-plugin ubufox xulrunner-1.9.1
        So if you don't want Firefox, don't install this package.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X