This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasma-desktop for KDE 4.4 does not start at startup

It works fine if I start it manually. I also removed all plasma configs in .kde/share/config, but it has no effect on the problem. How can I get plasma-desktop to start automatically? This all started as soon as I went to KDE4.4, starting with the beta but still continuing with the final release.

Re: plasma-desktop for KDE 4.4 does not start at startup

This is a common problem, yet it is very easy to solve. You need to go into System Settings/Desktop Settings/Workspace and there, just switch the "Form Factor" settings to "desktop". İf you find it disabled, AFAIK, there are two simple things you can do :

1. İnstall "plasma-netbook" via apt-get. This usually enables the "Form Factor" switch. Go back to Workspace Settings, set it to desktop. This will add startup entry to /username/.config/autostart folder. and you can manage it through System settings/ autostart.

2. You can create the autostart file manually: Open Dolphin and select "Show Hidden Files". Then Go to .config/autostart/ folder. Create a file named "plasma-desktop.desktop" there (use Kate). Then paste the below code into the file:
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Exec=plasma-desktop
    Hidden=true
    Name[en]=Plasma Desktop Workspave
    Name=Plasma Desktop Workspace
    OnlyShowIn=KDE;
    Type=Service
    X-DBUS-StartupType=wait
    X-KDE-StartupNotify=false
    X-KDE-autostart-phase=BaseDesktop
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_kdebase-workspace
    Then go into System Settings/autostart and enable the autostart file.

This should do the trick.

Regards

Comment

Thankx Oblivion that did the trick for me:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...8889#msg218889
      HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I finally got it working. I had to so to System Settings/Advanced/Autostart and enable plasma-desktop there. I don't know why it ever would have been disabled, but it was.

Comment

Working...
        X