Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will kde4.4 move to backports when stable?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will kde4.4 move to backports when stable?

I am interested in trying kde4.4 but I am a bit cautious about updating my main pc to it with all the problem posts. Is the plan to move it into the manin backport repo when some of the initial bugs are fixed? I seem to remember that happening with an updated kde soon after I installed karmic. If that is likely to happen soon I may wait until it reaches backports before updating.

thanks

Re: Will kde4.4 move to backports when stable?

> kubuntu-devel -- Kubuntu Developer Discussion

>> [kubuntu-devel] KDE 4.3.4 for Karmic Backports
    Jonathan Riddell
    Sat Jan 2 18:11:44 GMT 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 12:51:58PM -0500, Scott Kitterman wrote:
    > It looks to me like it's unlikely we'll get Tech Board approval any time soon
    > to put 4.3.4 in karmic-updates (and there are a few regressions to deal with
    > too), so unless someone objects, I plan on moving 4.3.4 to karmic-backports
    > and then removing it from the PPA (with an announcement on kubuntu.org like I
    > did when I moved 4.2.4).

What is we want to put 4.4 into backports?

Jonathan
    >> [kubuntu-devel] KDE 4.3.4 for Karmic Backports
    Scott Kitterman
    Sat Jan 2 18:32:12 GMT 2010

That would require us also putting Qt 4.6 in karmic-backports and I am
    reasonably certain we don't want to do that. If we really decide to do
    that at some point, then I guess we could put 4.3.4 back in a PPA, but I
    think it's pretty unlikely.

Scott K

It is only (> Duration calculation results)
    From and including: Saturday, February 13, 2010
    To and including: Thursday, April 29, 2010

It is 76 days from the start date to the end date, end date included

Or 2 months, 17 days including the end date
    to the Lucid Lynx with the (hopefully ) stable KDE 4.4.2 (?).
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by bailout
      I am interested in trying kde4.4 but I am a bit cautious about updating my main pc to it with all the problem posts.
      It's really not that bad, actually. I think the devs have gotten the main kinks worked out now, and my system is fully functional, but if you want to be 100% safe then just wait for the next Kubuntu release in the next couple of months which will be fully tested and solid (at least in theory).

Comment

Hi boys, I spended last two weeks installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling and installing and reinstalling Kubuntu x64 - I'm a longtime Ubuntu user and until this very release of Kubuntu a GNOME fan.

Today, after getting dirty with this distro and starting learn the pros and cons of Kubuntu, which I find rather unstable when compared with vanilla Ubuntu, I find best tactic before any upgrade/dist-upgrade is to backup your / partition [I will asume you have /home on it's own partition], that is everything without /tmp AND all hidden files and directories in ~ [all files and folders starting with a dot], then do the upgrade and in the event anything happens, well, just pull down the backup and restore your system.
        I know: it's a pain, but with Kubuntu IT'S A MUST, it took me more than 2 long weeks without sleeping well to get my system running c00l and the way I like it [I ended breathless as if I were running the Ironman xD] but now Kubuntu 9.10 KK with KDE SC 4.4 IS A BEAUTY, A JOY TO USE and I wont change this awesome distro for anything in the world (and I like Linux Mint KDE a *lot*).

Depending on your knowledge of Linux and command line -I'm myself a greenhorn- you can use the SysRescCD LiveCD to backup your main partitions -it ships with FSArchiver, a utility that let's you backup your EXT4 file system- and the following command a cool guy at #kubuntu-es [on Freenode] show me:

tar --exclude ".." --exclude "." -vccz .* > backup.tar.gz <-- change backup.tar.gz for the backup name of your choice

You should add to exclude nepomuk if you are running it to index your files.

Good luck and happy (dist)upgrading, you won't regret!

Comment

Originally posted by martosurf
          ...it took me more than 2 long weeks without sleeping well to get my system running c00l and the way I like it [I ended breathless as if I were running the Ironman xD] but now Kubuntu 9.10 KK with KDE SC 4.4 IS A BEAUTY...
          Two weeks to upgrade to 4.4? How the hell is that even possible? It took me less than 30-minutes, and most of that time was spent surfing the forums and waiting for someone to post a work-around for the corrupted graphics at the login screen bug (which has since been fixed by the developers so a work-around is no longer needed). I really have no idea what you were doing, but you obviously made things a hell of a lot more complicated than they needed to be.

Comment

Working...
          X