Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade went fine, except for sound CA0106 is there but not working?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrade went fine, except for sound CA0106 is there but not working?

My Soundblaster card stopped working. I remember it took me forever to figure out under 9.04

I have gone through the steps in the ubuntu help guide for audio... nothing.

snd-ca0106 is there, no errors
    unmuted in the mixer
    verified the speakers work on another machine

I can't get sound from anything... not CD's, or youtube or Google Voice... nada

Any ideas?

Re: Upgrade went fine, except for sound CA0106 is there but not working?

I have the same problem.
    No idea how to fix it.

Now I do!

Some kind soul gave me the solution for my problem. See thread "No sound after latest update".

Comment

Tried that... no joy.

No errors, no pop ups, nothing.

Just ... nothing

Comment

This works for some, and not for others ...

Code:
        sudo apt-get install --reinstall pulseaudio
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install pavucontrol paman
        Then Alt-F2 "pavucontrol" and look at the outputs -- look for anything muted. When everything looks right, KMenu > System Settings > Multimedia, and review the sequence of devices. Use the "test" button to check. If the top device does not make a sound when you press "test", try the next device on the list. If a device down the list plays the tune, then move it up to the top of the list.

If you play around with the devices in the "Multimedia" list, and also pavucontrol, you should get all items playing correctly.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

Reinstalled pavucontrol - check
          run pavucontrol - check

One Output device shown, CA0106, sound is on and set to 100%

Still nothing comes out of the speakers but a very faint humming sound.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            This works for some, and not for others ...

Code:
            sudo apt-get install --reinstall pulseaudio
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install pavucontrol paman
            Then Alt-F2 "pavucontrol" and look at the outputs -- look for anything muted. When everything looks right, KMenu > System Settings > Multimedia, and review the sequence of devices. Use the "test" button to check. . .

I have done all of it and then some.
            No joy, no sound.

KMix and pavucontrol show everything in good order.
            The driver is there.
            The device is recognized.

Yet, no sound . . .

Reinstalled 9.10 on a separate partition (older kernel) everything worked. But no sound all the way down to kernel 2.6.31.16. It worked with all of them before one of the most recent updates.

Comment

Desktop or laptop? If desktop, have you checked the connection to the speakers and the motherboard? If laptop, have you check the volume knob (if it has one - mine does)?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am on a desktop:

AMD Phenom(tm) 8400 Triple-Core Processor
                nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce 9500 GT] (rev a1)
                Audigy SE [SB0570] (CA0106)

I had some sound issues early on but got them figured out along with some video settings.

Everything was trucking along fine. New speakers a few months ago, then decided to try the upgrade a couple weeks ago. As soon as the upgrade completed I noticed no sound from my browser. Checked media players, same thing.

Speakers will "pop" occasionally. Sometimes when playing with the mixer settings, but not consistently and not every time.

Comment

Hi dude, this seems to be a TOO recurrent issue in Ubuntu/Kubuntu. I wonder if someday 'they' will stop adding and throwing features like a madman punch and start resolving everydays everypeople glitchs :P :P :P :P

I have had several issues with sound specially with Kubuntu, a rather buggy distro - but the best Debian+KDE implementation to this day.

Nearly %90 of the times you can solve your problems 'playing' with the settings found in System Preferences --> Multimedia. Best way is to play any song via VLC or similar and start the trial & error course to find your way until you start hear sound.

If you have a SoundBlaster Audigy, please don't forget to open KMix 'Mixer' (the sound volume control), go to Preferences --> Channels configuration (or something like that, I'm on a spanish Kubuntu).
                  Once there look for the "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack", move it to the right if you're running KDE SC 4.4 or just check it in previous KDE and when back in main Mixer window, unmute it.

As a personal recommendation, Kubuntu is such a beautiful distro and a very motherf***er one so once your system is running smooth, please do yourself a good and make a backup of your system, usually everything at "/" minus "/home" and "/tmp".

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    Desktop or laptop? If desktop, have you checked the connection to the speakers and the motherboard? If laptop, have you check the volume knob (if it has one - mine does)?
                    I resolved my issue (desktop, 64bit) by installing Gnome alsamixer as suggested somewhere on another board.

My sound is back. No other changes necessary.

Comment

Gnome alsamixer was already installed... so I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it.

No sound.

Rebooted.

No sound.

this is dumb

Comment

Working...
                      X