This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.4 update keeps ruinating my machine

I'm using the amd64 version of Karmic and I follow the instructions on the front page of kubuntu.org for updating to KDE 4.4 -- open KPackageKit, set it to add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to software sources, refresh and then select all software updates. Everything downloads and installs, then I start getting random error messages and things not working.

When I try to reboot my computer, as soon as KDE starts up, Plasma crashes!

What is the deal? I tried reinstalling and starting over 3 times. There must be something wrong with the packages.

Re: KDE 4.4 update keeps ruinating my machine

Originally posted by raid
    I'm using the amd64 version of Karmic and I follow the instructions on the front page of kubuntu.org for updating to KDE 4.4 -- open KPackageKit, set it to add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to software sources, refresh and then select all software updates. Everything downloads and installs, then I start getting random error messages and things not working.

When I try to reboot my computer, as soon as KDE starts up, Plasma crashes!

What is the deal? I tried reinstalling and starting over 3 times. There must be something wrong with the packages.
    Yes, there are problems read the many other posts on the subject.

Comment

Yeah, I saw them. Do you suggest I just stick with 4.3.2 or try to figure out how to get 4.4 working?

Comment

Yeah, I saw them. Do you suggest I just stick with 4.3.2 or try to figure out how to get 4.4 working?
        Stick with 4.4, I'm sure that the developers are getting an earful over this and there will be updates very soon.

Comment

I wonder if anyone has tried compiling the entire KDE SC 4.4 from source. Would that be even more problematic or just too time-consuming?

Comment

I wonder if anyone has tried compiling the entire KDE SC 4.4 from source. Would that be even more problematic or just too time-consuming?
            Depends how much time you have on your hands, it's definitely not a five minute job.

Comment

Usually with an upgrade like this, there are old plasma configuration issues that did not get resolved. Try starting with new plasma config files and see if that fixes it. Back them up just in case.

mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktoprc.old
              mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc mv ~/.kde/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc.old

Unfortunately, even if this works, you will have to re-customize your wallpaper, panel, etc, but at least it will work.

If you had any plasmoids that you compiled from source (or even ones from a PPA) in KDE 4.3.x, they might crash plasma. That sucks, but it does happen.

I hope that helps.

Comment

I ended up saying "forget kubuntu" and built an archlinux system from the ground up... it took a few hours but I've got KDE 4.4 running on here with no problems whatsoever. :P

Comment

It sounds like that's what you really wanted to do in the first place.

Comment

I ended up saying "forget kubuntu" and built an archlinux system from the ground up... it took a few hours but I've got KDE 4.4 running on here with no problems whatsoever. :P
                    The cardinal rule, which I forgot myself sometimes, is to wait a while before updating. Kubuntu is still the best but their quality control is a little lax sometimes. Arch Linux is great if you want to spend all your time compiling code, which is about as exciting as rearranging your sock drawer.

Comment

After I upgraded to 4.4 plasma-desktop would always crash upon login. The culprit was the Smooth Tasks widget/plasmoid. Other people have also observed this problem with 4.4 and Smooth Tasks.

Comment

New batch of updates this morning - New batch of Gremlins!

After this new batch of updates came in, now the panel had MULTIPLE panels layered under it.

I removed all of them and started with a new one.

Now the task switcher widget will not resize when you add more widgets. I can not get all of the widgets back on that i had before this mornings batch of updates.

Noticed that the new 4.4 widget ribbon now appears when adding widgets that was not there yesterday.

Also the desktop has gotten a lot slower for some reason.

Any tweaks, or will have to wait for more updates?

Other than the few glitches, 4.4 seems pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by grncamaro69

After this new batch of updates came in, now the panel had MULTIPLE panels layered under it.

Now the task switcher widget will not resize when you add more widgets. I can not get all of the widgets back on that i had before this mornings batch of updates.

Noticed that the new 4.4 widget ribbon now appears when adding widgets that was not there yesterday.

I just had another set of upgrades a few minutes ago and everything is running perfectly now.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                            Originally posted by grncamaro69

I just had another set of upgrades a few minutes ago and everything is running perfectly now.
                            I spoke too soon, Dolphin returns the message:

dolphin: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libsoprano.so.4: file too short

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01
                              Arch Linux is great if you want to spend all your time compiling code, which is about as exciting as rearranging your sock drawer.
                              Sounds like my Gentoo days, and boy was it fun when portage went wonky on you.

Anyway, I think most problems can be solved by simply wiping out your .kde directory and starting from scratch. Reconfiguring the system isn't that big of a deal really.

Comment

Working...
                              X