Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alright, I give up. What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, I give up. What am I doing wrong?

So I installed 9.10 on a new system last week without much difficulty from a live CD, but there are a few nagging issues that I cannot seem to solve on my own.

The hard drive is a WD 160gb SATA that I was previously using with Hardy. Dropped it into a new box with this partition scheme already written to it:

/dev/sda1 ~ 10gb ( / & boot)
    /dev/sda2 ~ 4gb swap
    /dev/sda3 ~ 135gb (/home)

During the install, sda1 was reformatted to ext3, swap was designated, and the home partition was NOT formatted as it was already ext3 with important data on it. The only issue I had at first was that the manual partition editor in the gui installer could not see my partitions on the SATA drive. After some searching, I discovered a work-around by removing the "dmraid" package during the live CD session. After that, the install went ahead smoothly and the system came right up without a hitch. (Incidentally, dmraid was restored during the install, whatever that has to do with anything)

Naturally, the first thing I did was to check my data. At which point I had a minor panic attack when I realized that my files were nowhere to be found in the /home/user directory - it was completely empty !?!?

I soon discovered that the files had actually been located in the /home directory which contained Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, etc folders with all of my files apparently intact. Whew!

Oddly, the folders (with the data in them) which are located in the /home directory cannot be altered, moved or deleted - not even with the command line! I was able to copy all the files & folders in /home to the /home/user directory, but I still don't understand what caused this to happen in the first place. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that configuration files leftover from the previously Hardy installation on the same disk were still located on my /home partition at the time of this install.

Be that as it may, the important thing is that the data does appear to be intact and accessible on the system. But that's not the only strange issue I have found.

After searching through several topics on this board and others, I fail to discover why I cannot see my hard drive, partitions, or mounted filesystems anywhere in dolphin or konquerer. There is a /media directory in the root folder, but it only shows a folder for my optical drive. I have looked in every directory in the root folder, and the hard drive (as well as my card reader, for that matter) are nowhere to be found. I can see the partitions in terminal with blkid, but there is not gui icon for them anywhere in the file managers. The card reader works if media is plugged into it, but that's the only time there is any evidence of it's presence on the system.

There appears to be no way to display what I am looking for in the "places" panel or with the Quick View widget, nor can I locate the system:/media/ directory which contained the storage devices in the system menu with Hardy. What is the equivalent directory in Karmic? Where should I look?

As annoying as that is, after much tinkering, I also cannot get Karmic to cooperate with a USB printer which is networked through another box which is still running Hardy. I can easily add the printer via ipp & samba, and it shows as connected and available in the "printer configuration" dialog window, but it won't actually print. The printer cue shows a job sent both on the Karmic box and on the Hardy box that the printer is connected to, but it just gets stuck processing and won't execute.

I dunno what to do. Karmic & kde4.3 create a beautiful looking & responsive desktop, and it's not as touchy as Hardy was on my machines, but I think that I might go back to Hardy for the time being unless I can find some workarounds for these issues. Although I am still a neophyte regarding much of this, I've been indoctrinating myself to Linux for the last year, and this is the first time that I have reached an impasse. Any insight or advice would be much appreciated.

Re: Alright, I give up. What am I doing wrong?

You probably can't move the files because they're owned by the previous account. I did this once: when installing Kubuntu I accidentally misspelled my user account so that it was off by one letter, which meant that it created a brand new folder for me, and my previous folder and all the files in it were still owned by the "old" account which didn't exist in the new installation. I had to use chown to move ownership over to my new account so that I could delete and edit them.

I'm not sure why all your files and folders would be moved directly into the /home directory, though. Linux is a multi-user system, so /home is just supposed to be the root directory for all the account folders (i.e., /home/user1, /home/user2, /home/user3, etc.). I have no explanation for why it would actually move your files out of the account folder and dump it directly into the /home directory.

Comment

I would suspect that part, if not all, of the problem is in the realm of BIOS, BIOS settings, motherboard RAID hardware, etc. If your motherboard has a SATA RAID feature, look in BIOS and see if you can turn it OFF/DISABLE. Also, make sure your BIOS is updated to the latest release of firmware, in case there was a bug in this area that has been fixed.

Also, there may be mode settings on the SATA channel(s), in BIOS. I have seen a couple of motherboards where, when the mode is set to AHCI, the installer can't find any hard drive. It might cause other issues such as the one you are experiencing -- try the "legacy IDE" mode, if you can.

Comment

Hmm... That's a good point about ownership. I'll try chown to see what that accomplishes. Still odd that the folders were written to /home though, even though they were in /home/user in Hardy and I have never moved them in the past.

Like I said, it more of a curiosity than a problem since I can still access the data, but I want to understand why that happened for the sake of posterity.

What's really irritating me is not being able to see the partitions from the file managers. I can still manipulate them from a terminal, but it's the principle of the thing that bothers me. Networked printing was never an issue with Hardy; it just worked.

I'm going to do some more searching, and I wonder what what happen if I tried to:

a) Wipe the drive and start over. I can always restore the data from backups.

b) Maybe try the kde3 remix alternative for Karmic, and see how that behaves.

c) Re-install Hardy, reformatting the Karmic partition in the process. Possibly trying to install kde4 and use it with Hardy for the time being.

d) Abandon Kubuntu until Lucid is ready, and just skip Karmic altogether like I did with Jaunty.

Comment

I'll check BIOS again, but I this is a brand new board which doesn't have raid. Also, I had the same issue with the drives not showing up while trying to install from the same Karmic live CD onto a different system with SATA drives, as well as another distro altogether (Mint) which is also based on Ubuntu.

I'm fairly certain that it has something to do with SATA interface, because I successfully used the same CDs to install onto an IDE drive.

Maybe I should explain that more.

The original system I was using Hardy with has only IDE interfaces on the board. Before I started using Linux, it was a windoze XP box that the drive went out on. So I wound up installing a SATA controller PCI card along with the WD 160gb SATA drive I described above and also began using Linux. After experimenting with a few distros, I settled on Kubuntu Hardy and it worked fairly well like that for a year.

When the time came to upgrade the home network, I picked up a barebone kit with SATA interfaces with the intention of using the SATA drive for that system, as described in the first post. I pulled the card from the original system because it had always been finicky, and installed another IDE drive instead.

When I tried to install Karmic on the new system, the partitioning step would not recognize the drive. Even after I found a work-around, I was still puzzled by this, and just for the heck of it I put the SATA card back in the original system with the same drive and had the same result. I even tried a similar distro that uses the same installer just to see if it was something with the Kubuntu disk I was using. Same result, on both systems, with the SATA drive. I was able to in stall both Hardy & Karmic, from the same two disks, onto the IDE drive without trouble.

Maybe I should wipe the SATA drive after all and just start over. Perhaps the drive should be replaced altogether.

Comment

Working...
          X