X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(SOLVED) KDE serious trouble

Hi Guys
    I tried to backup /home on my USB external HDD and after this operations I tried to login on my user "xgrass" and I had the the error during the KDE start. the error is :

No write access to "/home/xgrass/.ICEauthority"

I tried "chmod 777 /home/xgrass" but the error is there. I tried to erase .KDE and logout/login again but KDE doesn't START.

So I tried login whit another user "xval" and all works: KDE starts normally . Therefore I tried to replace .KDE of xgrass with .KDE of xval and now I had the following error :

"call to lnusertemp failed, check your installation" and KDE doesn't start.

This i very strange I don't have modified nothing under the user "xgrass".

Please could you help me

thanks
    Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Re: KDE serious trouble

remove or rename the .Xauthority and .ICEauthority and .kde
    in the fubard acct.

and try agin.................just how did you perform the backup?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The usual cause of this is using sudo to run a kde program as root

This is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

You MUST always use kdesudo to start kde programs as root.

Comment

Originally posted by sandro54
        No write access to "/home/xgrass/.ICEauthority"

I tried "chmod 777 /home/xgrass" but the error is there. I tried to erase .KDE and logout/login again but KDE doesn't START.
        The problem occurs because the ownership of ~/.ICEauthority and/or ~/.Xauthority is wrong. You need to reset them back to your user

Code:
        sudo chown xgrass:xgrass /home/xgrass/.ICEauthority
        sudo chown xgrass:xgrass /home/xgrass/.Xauthority

Comment

Therefore I tried to replace .KDE of xgrass with .KDE of xval and now I had the following error :

"call to lnusertemp failed, check your installation" and KDE doesn't start.
          I think this last action may have done serious harm. Unless he has an unmodified backup of the .kde directory for xgrass, well... :P
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

At the user's ~$ prompt:

Code:
            mv .kde kde_goner

sudo shutdown -r now
            Hopefully a new default KDE X session will start successfully when you log back in. All existing customizations will be lost, except to the extent that you can recover or rebuild them using the kde_goner contents.

Comment

I solved with remove the Xauthority, ICEauthority and .KDE files and after reboot all works.

thanks everybody
              Dual-booting:<br />Kubuntu: Karmic Koala (Main OS)<br />Windows:Vista Home Premium<br />--------------------------------------------------------------<br />Sony Vaio&nbsp; VGN-NR21Z - 2 Duo processor T8100<br />Graphics nvidia GeForce 8400M GT GPU

Comment

I solved with remove the Xauthority, ICEauthority and .KDE files and after reboot all works.

thanks everybody
                great glad you got it.............but for refrence ....had you run a GUI app with sudo insted of kdesudo?

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: (SOLVED) KDE serious trouble

Hmm, for the problem of "No write access to "/home/xgrass/.ICEauthority""an easier way is to use chown, i.e.

sudo chown username:groupname ~/filename

that way you can keep your .kde settings. I had the same problem as you when I apt-get updated from the console before logging into kde because I simply wanted to update, turn off my computer and go to sleep.

Comment

Working...
                  X