This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Menu editor glitch

When using 'menu editor' I occasionally run into an issue when selecting (ATTEMPTING to select!) an icon. See the circled area in the first image:

[img width=400 height=123]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntu_forum/kubuntu_forum1.jpeg[/img]

In the drop-down menu for 'system icons'--which SHOULD contain choices such as places, apps, devices, filesystems, etc.--there's NOTHING (not only nothing visible, but nothing at all). So the only icons there are to choose from are the icons that display initially.

Next, when selecting 'other icons':

[img width=400 height=120]http://www.smartassproducts.com/images/kubuntu_forum/kubuntu_forum2.jpeg[/img]

there's NOTHING there, either. You can 'browse' but the normal 'other' choices that should be displaying when you first select 'other icons' are not there.

This is sporadic. Every so often it all displays as it should, and every so often it displays as above.

Is there a fix for this? A workaround? It's very annoying, especially since there's no obvious solution, such as closing and restarting menu editor. This happens on all four of my current computers.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Menu editor glitch

If those are actual screen shots from your system, you are not using the default installed Theme. Have you tried switching back to the default Theme and seeing if this behavior is repeatable? If it isn't, then it's a problem with the Theme you downloaded/installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I haven't downloaded/installed any themes. On THIS computer I'm using Cleanlooks along with Keramik--and those CAME WITH Kubuntu. On the other THREE computers this behavior occurs on, they're using other combinations including whatever came up immediately after installation.

Let me clarify all this: I downloaded Ubuntu 9.10; I then used Synaptic to install KDE 4.3.2. That's it. I have not added anything else...yet.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Ubuntu initially, then opted for KDE. Okay. Read through How to install KDE on Ubuntu on psychocats site. You might have omitted installing one or more components.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
          Ubuntu initially, then opted for KDE. Okay. Read through How to install KDE on Ubuntu on psychocats site. You might have omitted installing one or more components.
          Okay, wait, before this gets totally off-base. This is the FIRST and only time I have EVER installed KDE via this method (Ubuntu first then KDE via Synaptic). I normally--and started to this time--download/install Kubuntu straight off from Kubuntu.org, but after THREE failed attempts at downloading (each ended after ~450MB with an error), I gave up and went to Ubuntu and downloaded it instead. I've seen this menu glitch before, so I don't think it is related to the Synaptic/KDE-after-Ubuntu method. I don't know.

ETA: I'm checking for missing components right now. It looks like there are some...but that doesn't explain the menu glitch happening in past versions that I installed straight from Kubuntu.

Comment

Just read through the link - you don't have to do anything, nor am I telling you you should. But there is the possibility that how you 'added' KDE to your Ubuntu installation may have omitted certain packages needed for a fully functional KDE Desktop. If the KDE Desktop environment wasn't fully installed, you will experience issues when running KDE.

Comment

See above! I was editing while you were posting.

Comment

Working...
              X