This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about "Folder View" settings

I just upgraded to 9.10 yesterday, and now it appears I've lost some features I really liked in 9.04. Among them, in the "Folder View" panel widget, I don't see an option to change its icon. I want its default directory to be root, but I *HATE* red, and that's the folder color associated with root. Also, in the old version, there was a bar at the top showing your current location; you could scroll through the files/directories shown in the list, select one WITHOUT opening it, which would then put its name/location in the bar at top, and then you could use the bar to open the location. Now it's just a list, so once you select a file/directory, you're there, and you have way to navigate up through the file system, i.e., if I set the default directory to ~ I can't navigate up a level within folder view. (Hope that all makes sense!) I don't think I'm explaining it well, but the point is that it used to be possible to use 'folder view' to navigate the directory structure and now it really isn't, unless you OPEN a location and THEN navigate.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Re: Questions about "Folder View" settings

> Plasma FAQ:
    What is the Folder View applet?

The Folder View applet, like its name says, is used to display items (folders, files) from a directory. Such a directory can be either a local one residing on your computer, but also a remote FTP, SSH, or SMB share. In the future, it will even contain results from Nepomuk searches and tagging.

You can choose to view either all files, or filter either by specific regular expressions (e.g., all files with a certain extension) or by file type (for example, just images).

This applet also supports basic file management properties (moving, copying, cutting and pasting for example), and you can have as many as you want on your desktop.

Lastly, you can use one Folder View as the whole desktop, effectively replicating the "old style" paradigm.
    [img width=400 height=251]http://images.maketecheasier.com/2009/05/kde-full-view.jpg[/img]

> QuickAccess
    (Package: plasma-widget-quickaccess)
    An alternate folder display plasma widget

This is a small widget designed for usage in the panel to provide quick
    access to the most commonly-used folders. This makes it nice for quick
    file browsing.
    [img width=341 height=400]http://www.kde-look.org/CONTENT/content-pre1/101968-1.jpeg[/img]
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Re: Questions about "Folder View" settings

Rog131, thank you for your reply. Please note that I was NOT using 'folder view' on the desktop, but on the panel. After installing 9.10 and looking through widgets to put back on my panel, 'folder view' LOOKED like what I was used to; there was NO entry for 'quick access,' so I never saw it. So I mistook the folder view panel widget for what I actually had been using all along on 9.04, quick access. I've installed it now and am very happily back to normal. Thanks for the heads-up!
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
      X