This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K3B DVD formatting problem

I have been trying to burn an image to a DVD+RW disc and K3B can't seem to format it. It does Pre-formatting and appears to start formatting but then jumps to 93.5 % done and ejects the disc saying "Erase failed!". Has anyone had this problem?

Re: K3B DVD formatting problem

OK, there is something weird in K3b. First of all the mouse icon is showing "busy" (twirling dots) all the time. So I tried a command line format;
    Code:
    dvd+rw-format -force /dev/dvd
    and it seemed to do the same thing as the preformatting but then I selected Format DVD+RW from the K3b menu and it immediately said it was formatted and so I tried burning the image and it worked So it seems there is a bug in the K3b "preformatting" rouitine.

Comment

I can't say I have ever had to preformat a DVD Rewriteable - I thought it only applied to Rewiteable CDs. So the issue might simply be that you are asking K3b to do something that is unnecessary?

HTH

Comment

Well, I simply go under Tools->Burn Image and it tries to preformat even a brand new RW+ disc. BTW, it did burn something but it didn't work - it won't boot.

Comment

Originally posted by tjohnson_nb
          Well, I simply go under Tools->Burn Image and it tries to preformat even a brand new RW+ disc. BTW, it did burn something but it didn't work - it won't boot.
          I had a similar problem. Try Brasero instead. It has rewritten one disk three times for me with no reformats. You can find it in Synaptic Package Manager or get it from the Repos through Terminal with "sudo apt-get install brasero" (without the Quotes) When it asks I click "Blank Disc"
          Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

I recall I did have issues with K3b a few months back but they were a bit different to your issue.

Unfortunately as a workaround at the time I tried alternatives but with the same results.

Couple of things : What versions of KDE and K3b are you running? Alternatively if Bob's suggestion does not work and you have an urgent job you might find it worth your while giving the trial version of nerolinux a go.

Comment

Originally posted by bobcollard
              Originally posted by tjohnson_nb
              I had a similar problem. Try Brasero instead. It has rewritten one disk three times for me with no reformats. You can find it in Synaptic Package Manager or get it from the Repos through Terminal with "sudo apt-get install brasero" (without the Quotes) When it asks I click "Blank Disc"
              Thanks, I tried Brasero and it immediately burned the image and again it wouldn't boot and it appears there is nothing on the disc. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the dvd's.

Comment

Thanks, I tried Brasero and it immediately burned the image and again it wouldn't boot and it appears there is nothing on the disc. I'm starting to think there is something wrong with the dvd's.
                [/quote]
                I had a bad bunch of DVDs I bought in a stack, don't remember the brand name. Been buying Memorex since then, no Problems.
                Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

LOL, these are Memorex! Maybe it's the DVD burner, I've never tried it before, it could be defective. I'll have access to another DVD burner in a week or so and I will try burning the image on that. Process of elimination

Comment

Good luck, keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                    X