This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved]Amarok Backports?

I have backports enabled which brought in the wonderful KDE 4.3.5 however Amarok is still version 2.2.0 using kde 4.3.2

I was wondering if Amarok 2.2.1 or 2.2.2 will ever go into backports?

Re: Amarok Backports?

Now

> Amarok 2.2.2 Rocks the Desktop
    ...Users of our stable 9.10 release can install it from the Kubuntu Backports PPA...

Repositories

> FAQ: Repositories

> Kubuntu Updates
    PPA description

Updates for Kubuntu releases which are due to go to Ubuntu Updates. Mostly KDE point releases.
    > Kubuntu Backports
    PPA description

Backports of new versions of KDE and major KDE apps for Kubuntu which are not yet tested enough to go to Ubuntu Backports.

The Kubuntu Update has the 2.2.1 and the Kubuntu backports has the 2.2.2. You could file a request.

Requests

> Ubuntu Backports
    How to request new packages

When you need a package backported which is not currently available, create a new bug report in the Backports Product of Launchpad:...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I am a little bit confused....

1. Even with the latest updates and Backports check marked I still only have Amarok 2.2.0 not 2.2.1 is there a way to check if my system is updating normally?

2. So Amarok has its own PPA Backport which is different than the default Backport in KpackageKit?

Comment

All I did was add ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports to my software sources, then made sure in updates, that "proposed updates" and "unsupported updates" was ticked, then just run a software update and you should be good to go. You can always untick the latter after you have the updates you want, but I prefer to leave them ticked.

Comment

Again

> FAQ: Repositories

There are

There are many kinds of repositories. Some of them are more experimental than the others.

There are:

- Ubuntu Backports
          - Kubuntu Backports PPA

PPA = Personal Package Archives for Ubuntu.

Manage Packages

(with the software-properties-kde. There are other options > FAQ: Package Managers)

K > System > Sofware Management (KPackageKit) > Settings > Edit Sotware Sources
          or
          K > System Settings > Add and Remove Software > Settings > Edit Sotware Sources
          or
          Alt+F2 and "kdesudo software-properties-kde"

PPA repositories

The PPA repositories are not "official" Ubuntu repositories. They are the "Other Software".

[img width=400 height=289]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/3931/othersoftware.png[/img]

The Kubuntu development crew is using the PPA repositories as a flexible way to offer new packages when they are still new.

You need to add the PPA repository to your list of the repositories. Then you can enable/disable a repository with the software-properties-kde

Updates

The official (update) repositories have an own tab.

[img width=400 height=297]http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/6383/softwarepropertieskde.png[/img]

You can enable/disable the official repositories. They are there as default.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Aaahhh ..... I was lil mixed up with them being both kubuntu backports but now I understand.

Thank you very much for the breakdown.

Comment

Working...
            X