X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Splitting a wide screen in KDE-4. [ANSWER: Tiling in KDE 4.4]

Update: this has been solved, see posts below

Hi

Is there any KDE-4 app (or perhaps a more generic Linux app) to partition a monitor into logical displays?, so that I can split the monitor into working like two virtual monitors? Think having one browser maximized on the left, and some office work on the right, etc.

I just bought a wide screen, 1080p monitor that works of course wonderfully under Kubuntu. The horizontal resolution, 1920 pixels, is fantastic for DVD Movies, HD Video and games, but it is way too much for things like text editing, web browsing, etc.

Thanks a lot for any pointers! (of course I did my Googling before posting, and I only found some windows applications for something along these lines)

Re: Splitting a wide screen in KDE-4?

Not exactly what you're after but my solution to the same problem is to make kde remember or force the size, position, shading and 'keep above others' settings of my apps, alt+f3>v>s>s>enter, a simple but fantastic feature.

Comment

Thanks a lot Chris! Another workaround in Dolphin and Konqueror is to use the Split View, but this is also very limiting (it's two windows of the same app)

Let's see if anyone hits the spot, I am starting to believe the app we are looking for doesn't exis. This really belongs to the Plasma shell

Cheers!
      Leo

Comment

I have not heard of the function that you described Leo. It is an interesting idea. As a user of a 1600x1200 display, I understand what you mean. I get around the issue by using Compiz -- a click of the mouse wheel and I'm looking at a new desktop. So if one of them is only half-used, well ... too bad!

Comment

In 4.4 KWin gets Tiling, which makes it easy to "half-maximize" windows by dragging them to an edge of the screen. You toggle it in System Settings -> Desktop -> Screen Edges.

From a random youtube search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEuapaLJF8g. Skip to 02:10, where it shows "Aero Snap like Feature".

Wouldn't that sort of suit your needs?
          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorael
            In 4.4 KWin gets Tiling, which makes it easy to "half-maximize" windows by dragging them to an edge of the screen. You toggle it in System Settings -> Desktop -> Screen Edges.
            You can also set global keyboard shortcuts for the functionality (Quick Tile Window to the Left/Right).

Comment

Tiling links:

> How do you divide a screen in Linux into frames that windows can expand to?
              > Tiling, tabbing with KWin 4?
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

@Zorael, Kubicle and Rog: you have all hit the spot! Thanks so much!

@Dibl: yes, virtual desktops are better for some tasks. The beauty of splitting the screen is being able to compare things side by side, etc. (having all the info you want at hand at the same time, exactly what people use a two-monitor "extended desktop" for.

I am running Lucid (and loving it) in an experimental partition, I'll set tiling up.

Thanks a lot to everyone in this thread!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Splitting a wide screen in KDE-4. [ANSWER: Tiling in KDE 4.4]

I've been looking into this. It works nicely. It is not exactly what I was looking for, as suspected by Zorael. But very close nonetheless.

Here are some thoughts:

* In 4.4 RC-2 (I am running it now in Lucid) dropping the window to the top works great. Dropping to the sides is less robust, and sometimes you really need to push the window almost completely outside the desktop for tiling to activate.

* Fundamentally, I think this is dynamic tiling, if I understood the bug report. Meaning: you have to take each window and drag it in a certain to tile it. I was looking, I think, for static tiling, or whatever the name, where you would have a half of the monitor to work as its own virtual desktop. Of course, dynamic tiling is a lot better than nothing.

* Note that f a window is maximized in one side of the screen, and you go full screen (typically with F11 or just right clicking on the frame), it uses the whole screen. In static tiling, the proper behavior I think would be for it to stay maximized on it's side of the screen, but just loose all borders and decorations (as in typical full screen).

* I think it would be nice for window decorations to have an extra icon on the top title bar, that allows to to tile left, and another to tile right. I may propose this in the bug report.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Splitting a wide screen in KDE-4. [ANSWER: Tiling in KDE 4.4]

Certainly worthy of a feature request.

Regarding other tiling window managers, a quick search over on ubuntuforums turns up with a few discussions.
                    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

Working...
                    X