This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant access file due to invalid char in name

Well I cant access a file because it is containing an invalid char in its name:
    http://imagebin.ca/view/fGJqz5Z1.html

Cant access it via terminal, via dolphin or what ever...

help pls

Re: Cant access file due to invalid char in name

I can't give you the crisp "how to do it" answer -- sorry. But, this question has come up before, and if you study this thread, bearing in mind that it was written when KDE 3.5 was the Kubuntu desktop, probably you'll find some of the answers to your issue:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3099856.0

Hope it helps. If you post back when you have figured it out, it might help the next person with that issue.

Comment

I had encountered that problem before, but I *was* able to manipulate the files using the command line. How were you attempting to input the file name in question via the command line when you were attempting to work with it there? I found the best way was to start typing the file name and use tab complete so that the terminal would find the correct file and handle the unsupported character how it needed/wanted.

I hope that helps. Good luck!

Comment

Code:
        $ cd /home/bene/.local/share/Trash/files/Messdaten/
        ~/.local/share/Trash/files/Messdaten$ mv -iv *Ortsaufgel*.txt newname.txt
        Should work. Afterward you may need to do something to fix the trash bin, but maybe not.
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I had this happen. I found that I could select and delete the file using mc, which is in the repository. mc is a console file manager. (Written by de Icaza, one of his first GPL contributions.)
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

depending upon what non-alphanumeric chars are in the filename, I resort to one of two methods..

1. if the first char of the name is "-", I do this: mv -- "-mangled-name" "GOOD-NAME"

2. if the filename has special chars that the shell interprets (ie: % | ), then I do this:

ls -1a | xargs -i -p mv "{}" "GOOD-NAME"

This method will show you each filename and ask you to approve of the action cmd with "y" or "n". For most all-but-one file, you want to say "n". When the filename appears that you want to change, say "y". You can then terminate the cmd from any further action by killing the cmdline with <CTRL>c. If the current dir has alot of files in it, this cmd can be slow and ponderous.. BUT, it will eventually show the desired file.

HTH
            UNIX Mechanic &amp; Network Plumber -&nbsp; Linux Counter #52009

Comment

What I do if I'm going to delete stuff using wildcards, is fist list(ls) using the wildcards to see if I have my head on straight.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
                What I do if I'm going to delete stuff using wildcards, is fist list(ls) using the wildcards to see if I have my head on straight.
                Try rm -iv pattern instead.That will cause rm to prompt you before removing any files, and echo back the name of each file removed.

Also see the thread [SOLVED] Can't Delete odd named file/folder for related discussion.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                X